Upgrading from Analogue to Digital Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the Thermostat in my parent's mid-terrace house that they've lived in for over 40 years. My father probably fitted it himself as he used to be a plumber but now he's in his 80's with Dementia so if I ask him anything he doesn't remember much. The house is heated with a gas boiler and radiators.

I was wondering how easy it would be for me to change this for a very Simple Digital Thermostat - with nothing more complicate then a simple Boost button.

What Model Thermostat would people recommend replacing it with?

My parents are not technical at all - so don't want anything fancy - just a very easy to read Digital Display and a simple Boost button so if the house is feeling cold they can push the button and maybe the heating turns on for 2 or 3 hours.

Also just by looking at the photos is it possible to tell what the different wires are for? I read something about modern Digital Thermostats only needing 2 wires?

BTW how long do the batteries tend to last in a Digital Thermostat as that's something I'd have to schedule into changing. As my parents wouldn't change batteries themselves.

Thanks in advance.

XTzyhSI.jpg

pDbpwVd.jpg

H9sPsfb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you are getting your devices confused.

This is a room thermostat, it switches the heating 'on' when it is below the set temperature and 'off' when it reaches the set temperature. The on/off time control that would include the boost control is a different piece of equipment.

There should be a programmer that is used to set the times that the heating is switched on & off somewhere.
Also just by looking at the photos is it possible to tell what the different wires are for?

There should be a diagram on the inside of the cover that shows what the wires are for. Something like this:

img_7819-jpg.209745

Last edited:
I could well be getting my terms mixed up - what is the Green Eco Button for on the Honeywell DT90E1012 do then?
I thought it was a way to turn on your heating on days when you feel extra cold?

BTW will a 2 wire Thermostats like the Honeywell DT90E1012 work with this kind of system?

Sponsored Links
I know Honeywell DT90E Can't say I have seen a Honeywell DT90E1012. But yes, a 2 wire thermostat can replace the old Honeywell. The neutral wire which is not required is simply isolated/insulated and tucked out of the way.
what is the Green Eco Button for on the Honeywell DT90E1012 do then? I thought it was a way to turn on your heating on days when you feel extra cold

No, just the opposite, it lowers the temperature set on the thermostat for a few hours to save energy. So if you normally have the temperature set to 20 degrees the Green Eco Button will drop the temperature to a lower setting eg 18 degrees for a few hours.

Last edited:
OK Thanks - I won a new Digital Honeywell Thermostat on eBay so waiting for it to arrive ...
Any ideas how long the batteries tend to last in these devices?

They advertise 2 years but all depends on what batteries you use, dont use cheap rubbish

I know Honeywell DT90E Can't say I have seen a Honeywell DT90E1012. But yes, a 2 wire thermostat can replace the old Honeywell. The neutral wire which is not required is simply isolated/insulated and tucked out of the way.

No, just the opposite, it lowers the temperature set on the thermostat for a few hours to save energy. So if you normally have the temperature set to 20 degrees the Green Eco Button will drop the temperature to a lower setting eg 18 degrees for a few hours.
I have a DT90E and you can preset the Green eco button to whatever temperature you like. I normally have my temperature set at 21.5°-22.0° but I have my eco button set at 23° to boost the heating if it’s getting a bit cold for 1,2 or 3 hours. It will tell you when the batteries need changing, I think my first set lasted 3 years.

Ah OK thanks for the clarification (y) I have only seen it used the other way, to drop the temperature for a couple of hours when you go out to save energy & whilst the house is empty. To call it an Eco /Green button would seem a bit of a misnomer if it can be also used to increase the energy consumption by turning up the heat.

The heating programmer / timeswitch will also have to be set to have the heating 'on' for the Eco? function to operate. However most programmers tend to have a Boost button that puts the heating 'on' for an hour outside of the programmed time settings. This is what I thought was being referred to by 'boost' in the first post. Apologies for my confusion.:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back