upgrading old rad to new

M

marsaday

I am having to move my boiler and so am taking the opportunity at the same time to upgrade 2 rads.

i just wondered if the heat output would be that much greater in reality?

I have an old double which i have calculated gives out 7000btu. The new rad gives out 8000btu, so will we notice that much difference? I wondered if the old rad would give out a much lower output than the calculated output due to old age etc.

anyone have any info on this?

Sponsored Links
hi just fit TRV (thermostatic radiator valves) valves to the the new rad (as you are ment to these days for energy saving) this will give you the means to regulate your room temperature meaning you wont ever be too hot

We have them already, but i wondered are old rads output much less than they should be ? Due to age and wear etc.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you took in to account whether there were fins or not! They add about 30%.

Old rads will have furry sludge stuck to the inside so be down a little, but a 25% extra output I doubt you'll notice, if you leave doors open like everyone else does.

Be careful you're comparing like with like - old rad output charts were for a different temperature difference than we use now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back