Upgrading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please clarify something for me?

Bathroom, wants electric pumped shower & light fitting swapping like for like, plus shaver socket removing.

House has no bonding to gas or water, only 6mm main earth, old fuses, so no RCDs.

I say new board with RCDs, main bonding upgrade, gas & Water bonding is required before work is carried out. Am i Correct?

Sponsored Links
No. You can't force the customer to have their installation upgraded for this work.

If you were installing any new wiring or circuits then they must comply with current regs, but what you are doing does not fall into this category.

Obviously we all know it would be best to have this work done, and I would try and explain to the customer what ought to be done, and why it would be best to have it done, but unfortunately it is upto them to make a hopefully informed desicion.

Even when manufactorers instructions say RCD MUST be installed on shower, therefore installing RCD to that circuit so bonding etc needed?

Sponsored Links
Is the existing shower pump on its own circuit or on the upstairs ring final?

You could upgrade main bonding, split tails, install mini CU with MCB + RCD and move existing shower or ring final from old CU to new CU. Other circuits can remain as is so don't need to be involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back