Upper floor flat - Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sound attenuation. I have designed a loft conversion in a mid terraced first floor flat. One of the panning conditions was for a sound attenuation scheme. I submitted amended plans showing drylining on the party walls. The Public Health Officer has said that the condition cannot be discharged until i show that we intend to upgrade the floor betweeen the ground floor flat and the first floor level of my client's flat! Surtely this isn't necessary? The planning officer (assistant i mentioned earlier) says that as there are more bedrooms there is a likely increase in people living there and therefore will crerate more noise so we need to upgrade the impact and airborne spound insulation across the whole of the ground/first floor! anyone had any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
i would love to appeal but the clients are about to have a baby and therefore want the conversion done ASAp! looks like i willl need to break the news of disruption and additional expense!!! bugger :(

Doh, have'nt you even done that yet? First thing I'd have done! Keep your clients informed of everything asap. Minimise the embarrassment!

Sponsored Links
i had broached it but was hoping that someone would see sense and only make us sound insulate the party walls within the loft conversion area.

If you only have to "show a sound attenuation scheme", then just show it. It's only a thick line with "Rockwool" pointing to it on a sketch. I can't see why the clients should be charged extra for this :rolleyes:

That discharges the condition

If you only have to "show a sound attenuation scheme", then just show it. It's only a thick line with "Rockwool" pointing to it on a sketch. I can't see why the clients should be charged extra for this :rolleyes:

That discharges the condition

I'm not charging them extra, i just meant that they would need to install it (surely - the planners willl check?) so there would be the additional cost and upheaval of doing it?

No the planners cant check. I was not aware that they had the powers to open up a structure for investigation

Further they can't enforce an invalid condition, and either way if need be the work can be done at a later time ... or never at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back