Upside down double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double light switch which works upside down. It’s L1/L2/L3.

I’m guessing it’s not as simple as turning the plate because then the switches will be on the wrong side - right hand switch closest to door to right etc.

Does anyone know how to change the wiring so that the off/on positions are corrected?

Attachments

• 4F621762-3229-4996-8ADE-F7FD2389F137.jpeg
    4F621762-3229-4996-8ADE-F7FD2389F137.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 319
Sponsored Links
I tried that but the result is that one of the switches stops working and the switch in the other room stops working. Any ideas?

Did you move BOTH wires from L2 to L3 ( or L3 to L2 ) on both switches ?

The wires shown black are ( probably ) how the switches were wired, to invert the switches the connection ha to be as shown in red.

Wires to the lamps ( wire 3 and wire 4 ) remain in the L1 terminals

0z13.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeh I moved both from L3 to L2 then left L1 in position.

Did you keep the link between the two terminals If that short link that links wire 1 to wire 2 was not in place then one switch would work, the other would not and other lights in other rooms would not have a supply.

Yeh I kept it in place but maybe the connection was loose. Either that or the switch plate may be faulty...

Yes, something like that.

Was it a loose connection then? Have you tried it again?

IF the switch was faulty, you COULD remove the switch, turn it upside down, then reconnect using L1 and L3.

But that's a bit OTT, and if the switch really was faulty, it really needs replacing.

More info on this loose connection business required.

The connections weren’t loose, so I’m pretty stumped... the switch itself works fine upside down so my best guess is one of the L2 terminals is faulty. The switch was fitted before I moved in so I’m guessing whoever fitted it must have had a reason for fitting it upside down...

So are you sure you wired it up correctly?

Have you put it back to how it was?

You only have to one wire in the wrong place, and total chaos will happen.

This is the only combination that seems to allow all the lights to switch on independently. It’s a weird one... going to admit defeat or call in a professional

Try what I said about removing wiring, turn switch upside down, and use L1 and L3 again.

Just don't mix the wires up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back