Upstairs block walls built straight on floorboards (50's)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my house was built in the 50's, I've recently been doing a lot of redecorating, plumbing e.t.c. and realized that the upstairs block walls are built straight onto the floor boards. What I'm concerned about, is, there are two walls spaced around 2ft apart which form a closet dividing two upstairs bedrooms. The walls span 13ft across the living room below, and rest on the floor boards. The joists have been doubled up where they coincide with the walls. It's been that way since I bought the house in the 90's, but I've always had a problem with hairline cracks across the ceiling in the living room in this location. Was this common practice in the 50's? It just seems a lot of weight to have on an 8 inch floor joist. There's also a large old cast iron radiator, bed e.t.c. being supported by these joists. There was a fair bit of 'bounce' in the floor, but I've just installed tongue and groove hardwood flooring perpendicular to the floor boards, and this has somehow stopped the bounce entirely and stabilized the floor. Originally, there would have been a dividing block wall on the ground floor across the living room, coinciding roughly with the upstairs walls, this looks to have been removed a long time ago.
Am I right in supposing that, because the walls are on the tongue and groove boards (not sole plates), it becomes less of a point load on one or 2 joists, and a lot of the weight is distributed across multiple joists/the whole floor instead?

Sponsored Links
The boards will distribute the loads to at least two of the joists and, to a much lesser extent, to the next joists.
But if it's been like that since the '90s, what's the problem?
The hairline cracks in the ceiling plaster will probably be due to excessive deflection of the joists, but that is not a structural issue. Timber joists can deflect a considerable amount (even to the point of causing plaster to fall off) before they actually fail by breaking.

My 70's semi had a similar construction for the upstairs bedroom and bathroom dividing walls.

I was initially concerned but found that double joists had been used within the floor directly under the walls. I never detected any movement or waekness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back