upstairs ceiling cracking - how to reinforce loft joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After paying out to have the upstairs ceilings replastered (skim over the horrid artex) we've since discovered that something up there is on the move:

- There's a crack formed in line with one of the joists across the span of the master bedroom.

- Several nail-heads have popped their plaster off, leaving a line of craters.

I think the problem has been compounded by the orientation of the original plasterboard. I was intending to partially board out and use the loft for storage, but this development has kinda thrown things into doubt.

I was told by a QS friend that the roof/ceiling construction is of a suspended type: There's 2 generous beams running parallel to the apex that sit above smaller ceiling joists (probably 3 - 4inch deep) *

I suspect there's no co-incidence to the fact that where this 'problem' joist is, is also where the one of the main beams is jointed - there's an overlap of about 1m between the beam and its successor, but I think the joint between them isn't too rigid.

So, questions:

How can I stop the ceiling moving, and also re-inforce the loft floor to take loft boards carrying boxes of junk?

This needs to be minimal hassle/intrusion into the living space, i.e. not tearing ceilings down. And preferably not vastly expensive using expensive materials or techniques that require a tradesperson.

I was considering (in sequence):

1 strengthen the iffy joint on the main beam, drill & bolt? Glue?

2 installing thicker joists parallel to the existing ones, but how to secure to the beams? place on top, or alongside?

3 board over.

*Can upload photos tomorrow if required..

Sponsored Links
Failed to get a camera up there, but managed a tape measure:

ceiling joists are 1.5" x 4" deep.
Supporting beams are 2x4"

on average 450mm (18") between joists (this figure varies a bit)
about 2.1m (7ft in old money) between supporting beams

The ceiling line is above the eaves of the house - the ceiling drops by the outside walls of the upstairs rooms. I've no idea if this is relevant.

Another detail is there's some massive C-section steels bolted to the roof trusses, running parallel to the line of the terrace. I believe these were installed shortly after the terrace was built to remedy some subsidance that has obviously happened in the pasts.

Any thoughts anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back