Upstairs radiators hot even though heating is not on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had new boiler from British Gas a few months ago with Hive.

We've not got a combi but a water tank upstairs. So you need to schedule water and heating. Obviously, in this weather heating is off. (but we still need hot water)

Noticed last night that upstairs radiator only were hot. I turned half of them off last night (using rad thermostat) and lo and behold the ones this morning not turned off were hot.

Crazy. Because even if for some reason the heating is on, there is no way its cool enough for the heating to turn on.

How on earth does this even happen for just upstairs? I am wondering if its something to do with the water heating and something is wrong here.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a motorised valve? Also what boiler is it, and was it just the boiler and hive fitted?

Also do you have a separate thermostat upstairs?

Ultimately though this comes down to getting BG back out under warranty. Has this just started to happen or has it been doing it since it was installed?

Often reverse circulation because the heating returns are not commoned let BG sort it out.

Sponsored Links
To try and explain this is a factsheet for a manual valve but the same applies to motorised valves.
Dia (2).jpg
Dia (1).jpg

Hope that helps

Do you have a motorised valve? Also what boiler is it, and was it just the boiler and hive fitted?

Not sure about valve but rings a bell.

Boiler is new as is hive but tank was replaced shortly before new boiler too.

Also do you have a separate thermostat upstairs?

Ultimately though this comes down to getting BG back out under warranty. Has this just started to happen or has it been doing it since it was installed?

No just downstairs...

The only thing is, did the system do this before BG came in (I'd guess not) to fit the boiler & was it just a simple boiler swap?

You shouldn't all of a sudden have reverse circulation, if all they did was change the boiler, unless they were in at the location of the pipework and 3 port valve. If they've changed pipework in there then they may have altered the return, causing the issue.

In any case it's BG's issue to sort out.

The only thing is, did the system do this before BG came in (I'd guess not) to fit the boiler & was it just a simple boiler swap?

You shouldn't all of a sudden have reverse circulation, if all they did was change the boiler, unless they were in at the location of the pipework and 3 port valve. If they've changed pipework in there then they may have altered the return, causing the issue.

In any case it's BG's issue to sort out.

Well its complicated. We had cover with SSE but knew the boiler was on its last legs so had arranged a new boiler only through BG.

A week before, the tank split (overheated) and SSE replaced it all. There was an issue at the time I remember that the house builders had put the original tank in wrong way around anyway. So this was done.

Week later BG came along, checked it all and installed new boiler only. BUT part of the deal is they give you 12 months cover for ALL the system not just the bit they sold you.

As us gas chaps are always saying, it's the last man standing who is responsible, so BG are the ones to talk to, especially if they have taken on the system cover for 12 months.
TBH though, if SSE changed the HW cylinder it's likely they may introduced the problem.

As us gas chaps are always saying, it's the last man standing who is responsible, so BG are the ones to talk to, especially if they have taken on the system cover for 12 months.
TBH though, if SSE changed the HW cylinder it's likely they may introduced the problem.

Yes I do wonder. Like you said BG have taken it on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back