Upstairs rads warm, downstairs cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....and boiler fires for 10 seconds, temperature rockets to 70c then boil shuts off for few seconds, this repeats itsself.

At first i assumed it was the diverter valve as i got hot water but the central heating flow pipe, exiting the boiler, was cold.

But now the central heating flow pipe does get hot as it leaves the boiler, but for some reason only lukewarm water gets to the rabs upstairs. Downstairs rads are cold.

I've removed the screw from the pump and the pump is spinning fine. Hot water at the taps is also fine.

Its a saunier duval f30e classic.

any ideas what else could be the cause?

Sponsored Links
Usually a blockage or the diverter valve is not opening fully.

When did you last look at the pump impeller?

At last the Desi Grill is closed and showing a To Let sign! The consequences of serving bad food and not allowing customers to bring their own wine.

Tony

Usually a blockage or the diverter valve is not opening fully.

When did you last look at the pump impeller?

At last the Desi Grill is closed and showing a To Let sign! The consequences of serving bad food and not allowing customers to bring their own wine.

Tony

Hi Tony

I had a look at the pump last night and it seemed to be spinning ok.

The odd thing is some days the heating will work fine, all the rads will heat up, boiler will fire for a while and everything is fine. Then the next time the heating is on, it suddenly plays up, rads stay cold or some get lukewarm, with the boiler firing on and off every 30 seconds.

Desi grill did have some bad reviews so glad its shut down. Lets hope they open something better more to your liking!

That sounds like a sticking diverter valve but it could be caused by other things. Difficult to guess without being at the boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a sticking diverter valve but it could be caused by other things. Difficult to guess without being at the boiler.

Tony

i had a look at the diverter valve a while back and cleaned, greased it with wd40.

so when can you pop round to have a look at the boiler?

Agile is this one of your "Trainees" or something you seem to be happy to give advice to someone for a change on a boiler, and befor you say its not gas, this guy didnt even know what bunging a system ment the other day, so he's nowhere near the stage to be taking a cover off a boiler

Agile is this one of your "Trainees" or something you seem to be happy to give advice to someone for a change on a boiler, and befor you say its not gas, this guy didnt even know what bunging a system ment the other day, so he's nowhere near the stage to be taking a cover off a boiler

oi! i've taken the boiler off, removed, cleaned, replaced plate heat exchanger, (worked fine after this). Also removed flow switch, replaced. On top of this also removed, cleaned and replaced diverter valve which did involve disconnecting and reconnecting the gas supply! I take it Agile's a big meany when it comes to boiler advice?! :LOL:

Naz not be ing funny mate, but for someone who is in the trade you ask an awful lot of basic ****, yet you are charging customers for your services, people who know very little, usually undercut the time served experianced professionals, and get the work because the customer knows no better

Out of interest how long have you been doing heating/ plumbing, what qualifications do you have, also have you passed ACS

Naz not be ing funny mate, but for someone who is in the trade you ask an awful lot of basic s**t, yet you are charging customers for your services, people who know very little, usually undercut the time served experianced professionals, and get the work because the customer knows no better

Out of interest how long have you been doing heating/ plumbing, what qualifications do you have, also have you passed ACS

I've answered this question before. But for you i'll answer again. I done my C&G level two a couple of years ago. However having a family, a mortgage etc meant i could not give up full time work to take up a very low paid apprentice role to learn the skills needed on the job. I simply could not survive financially. Unfortunately for me, i could not find ANYONE willing to accept me on a part time basis, i.e. evenings/weekends, even though i offered to work for nothing. I was always confident in my abilities as i always done well on the practicle tasks at college.

Eventually spoke to family and friends who felt confident enough in me to give me a few minor jobs, tap changes, fitting external taps, flushing central heating system, installing the odd basin, or toilet. A good mate then gave my details to a letings agency his father has properties with. i got a few basic jobs from here.

From there family and friends started giving me bigger jobs, installing bathrooms etc, and through word of mouth and recommendations, i've been able to get a bit of work here and their. I've had to learn the job as i go as i've not had the luxury of being able to train with a full time plumber.

It was daunting at first, going into someones home with my only experience being in a college workshop, but i've only ever done jobs i felt confident enough in doing.

I admit i charge low prices, not to put you guys out of pocket but simply to try and get a bit of work to gain the experience necessary.

C&G level 2 , only college based so not a proper certificate i think its referred to as a technical certificate its not an apprentaship and level 2 is basic plumbing not even advanced plumbing systems which is level 3, how long did the course take? 2 years?

You shouldnt be touching gas thats for sure, you are not qualified and its typical of cheap arse letting agents, going for the cheapest most poorly trained idiots out there to save a buck or 2, its wrong and i hope you know what you are doing is illegal and reportable 2 gas safe and the HSE

You are not good enough to charge people for what you do, seriously man you left a gap at the side of the bath that a kid could of fell down and didnt know its was wrong, but the customer did???? Jesus i'd of fooked you off and got someone properly trained and experiances in to do it, you work on boiler and central heating and dont even know what bunging a system is???? Your skills are inadequete ti say the very least

Im sorry to say its idiots like you that has made this trade go to the dogs, i dont ****ing care if you cant get the experiance, tough **** you should of done it when you left school or wait til you can get the experiance, stop undercutting time served pro's with your half arse work, now step aside and let the men work, infact my apprentice knows more

WORRYING :evil: :evil:

C&G level 2 , only college based so not a proper certificate i think its referred to as a technical certificate its not an apprentaship and level 2 is basic plumbing not even advanced plumbing systems which is level 3, how long did the course take? 2 years?

You shouldnt be touching gas thats for sure, you are not qualified and its typical of cheap a**e letting agents, going for the cheapest most poorly trained idiots out there to save a buck or 2, its wrong and i hope you know what you are doing is illegal and reportable 2 gas safe and the HSE

You are not good enough to charge people for what you do, seriously man you left a gap at the side of the bath that a kid could of fell down and didnt know its was wrong, but the customer did???? Jesus i'd of fooked you off and got someone properly trained and experiances in to do it, you work on boiler and central heating and dont even know what bunging a system is???? Your skills are inadequete ti say the very least

Im sorry to say its idiots like you that has made this trade go to the dogs, i dont **** care if you cant get the experiance, tough s**t you should of done it when you left school or wait til you can get the experiance, stop undercutting time served pro's with your half a**e work, now step aside and let the men work, infact my apprentice knows more

WORRYING :evil: :evil:

Wow you are angry about this man lifting tools, is your refrence to the bath a fitting something you have seen from this person or a generalisation?
If you do actually know him personally and hes working on gas then report him!!

something he wrote yesterday, i dont know him or i would, yeah it ****s me off, to many of his sort about, he's prob a sound guy, but this is byusiness, and he's taking the ****

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back