Upstairs ring main has 2 loops

3/.029 = 1.29mm²

3/.036 = 1.94mm²

7/.029 = 2.9mm²

Is the cpc stranded as well?

Sponsored Links
newspark_paul said:
:D
easily done mate. not hijacking thread, but how's the course going?

Its going well thanks :) , theory is going well, and doing 2381 with it as well (got the exam booked for 29/3) will be doing 2391 next year.

Not sure I quite see eye to eye with MI cable yet :p , but I'm sure i'll get the hang of it soon.

Got two more multiple choice 2330 exams in March and May, and the practical in april (SWA, singles in pvc conduit, and T+cpc), next year is when the proper written exams start :LOL: (though apparently some stuff we have covered at L3 level anyway already)

Gents - I appreicate all the interest but I'm a bit confused....

I'm not sure what the terms RFC and CPC mean? Would this make a difference to my original question - how it seems I've 2 loops for the one ring main?

I'm fairly confident that the 2 loops up stairs are continuous (i.e. not radial) as I've traced 75% of the cable and done continuity tests on the main board wires and a couple of the sockets.

Is there any other explanation as to how I can have:
1) Upstairs sockets on 1 ring main which are all off when the main board fuse is off and none of the downstairs lighting or sockets are on this circuit.
2) This fuse only has 2 live (and 2 corresponding neutral) cables
3) The live and neutral at the board and at a couple of sockets pass continuity tests
4) There appear to be 2 loops of cable i.e. After 4 cables emerge from a cavity wall 2 cables go off in one direction and the other 2 in a different direction to feed various sockets upstairs.

The only thing I can think off is that 2 of the 4 cables actually join up somewhere behind the cavity wall - thus completing the ring main...

Cheers

Elliott

Sponsored Links
Enjoy Adam. Keep practicing and you'll suss the MI.

Elliot, RFC is Ring Final Circuit and CPC is Circuit Protective Conductor (Earth conductor).

What tester are you using to prove you have rings?
It may be best to get a local electrician to come round and check the installation for you. It's quite difficult sorting a complicated problem like this when we can't see everything.

Paul,

The tester was a £20 job from B&Q - turn the dial to the correct value and touch the 2 cables and the current form the battery runs through and the needle moves

It's a fair point re the local electrician.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back