Upstand for roof lantern

we are doing a build with a roof lantern the size we are having is 3.2x1.2m the manufacture only give the external measurements not the internal. The carpenter has constructed an upstand but the internal measurement is 96cm he said he does this so the plasterboard can be packed out and to allow adjustment to get the lantern square? But that of course makes the internal measurement a lot narrower. Is that correct?
No it's wrong.

The lantern will be square.

The thickness of the upstanding is determined by the lantern baseplate and you need the manufacturer to tell you what that is.

Is it Korniche?

Sponsored Links
it is a professional company, they supply most of the trade.
If they were professional they'd be able to tell you the sizes and all of their typical installation details, product data sheets etc would be available to anyone requiring them. It's no good getting all defensive, if we don't know the manufacturer or model then we're unable to help any more than we have.

No it's wrong.

The lantern will be square.

The thickness of the upstanding is determined by the lantern baseplate and you need the manufacturer to tell you what that is.

Is it Korniche?

Hi yes it's a korniche, I have the data sheet but it didn't give internal and when I spoke to them the don't give the internal only external size.

If they were professional they'd be able to tell you the sizes and all of their typical installation details, product data sheets etc would be available to anyone requiring them. It's no good getting all defensive, if we don't know the manufacturer or model then we're unable to help any more than we have.

They are professional it's made for trade korniche. For some reason they don't give internal size. I rang them up they only give external

Sponsored Links
Internals are not given because the thickness of the upstand is discretionary. It could be a thin upstand, a thicker insulated panel or timber frame, or a section of glazed frame.

What should be given is details of the cill/plate width and fixing details, and from that you can work out the position and thickness of the upstand. There is normally a sectional drawing available to depict this.

I'd suggest that the upstand as built, is narrower than it could be.

Thanks for the replies. I understand about the thickness of the upstand being discretionary. I've attached a photo the white line is 70mm which is the minimum, silly question but is it possible to cut the upstand back to this? Particularly on the longer side? I'm trying to get as much light in as I can. I was a bit silly trusting the chippy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_121935_3.jpg
    IMG_20210601_121935_3.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 76

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back