Who provides an upstand when fitting new roof lantern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Sorry if this might seem a silly question but who usually provides the upstand when fitting a new roof lantern (RL)? I'm currently looking at fitting a new RL for my living room from https://www.rooflightcentre.co.uk/product/korniche-roof-lanterns/ (1000x1000) and as far as I understand, this product doesn't come with an upstand.

The roofer I'm in touch with has asked me to buy an upstand before he can come over and fix the RF since he can neither recommend an upstand company nor does he want to build one. The thing is -- it's really hard to find these things online so was wondering how are these roof lanterns usually installed? Are they installed by a multi-trade person who is a carpenter/builder/roofer so everything is taken care of? If not, how do I go about finding reputable upstand sellers who would sell me an upstand adhering to the roof lantern provided by korniche?

Thanks for all your help, cheers!

Sponsored Links
It's the roofer making the hole in the roof and adding extra joists but he has explicitly mentioned he won't have anything to do with the upstand and I need to procure it on my own :)

Seems a bit weird, you'll need a carpenter then probably, you should allow for say 40mm of rigid insulation around the perimeter of the upstand too (on the inside). Some careful communication is gonna be required between you all to ensure everything fits together or they'll be a blame game if something doesn't match.

Hope you don't mind the racket that rain makes on a rooflight.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, definitely a lot of coordinator required -- I'm trying to explore my options here since I'm a bit worried with coordinating things which should have been taken care by the roofer. Would I be correct in assuming that most roofers are comfortable creating upstand or is it usually the case that they outsource the upstand work to a carpenter?

Also I would appreciate some advice on alternatives -- the story here is that my living room roof needs replacing and I thought why not add a sky-light. As far as I understand, I have 2 options for a flat roof -- go with roof lantern or something like this https://www.velux.co.uk/products/flat-roof-windows/curved-glass-new-generation

Would I be correct in assuming that the curved glass rooflight won't need a upstand (or maybe comes with an upstand) so I wouldn't have to worry about getting hold of a carpenter?

> Hope you don't mind the racket that rain makes on a rooflight.

I'm hoping for the same :)

The ones (velux) we have fitted you buy the base unit and the top .
The base is basically the curb and after that's fitted you simply attach the top .

The upstand is 4 pieces of 6×2!

If the person constructing the roof was not going to fit those, then he should not be constructing the roof.

The velux flat roof window upstand / base unit/ curb comes in one piece and the flat roof is weather onto it .upto date ones that is

Last edited:
The velux flat roof window upstand / base unit/ curb comes in one piece and the flat roof is weather onto it .upto date ones that is
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. So if I go with the velux one, I can possibly avoid the upstand shenanigans :)

Why you would allow the need for a timber upstand or not to drive the choice of rooflight is beyond me. All because the roofer can't be bothered to fit a few a lengths of timber around the opening.

Haha, definitely not deciding on this yet, just keeping my options open. I have spoken to 3 roofers and they are not ready to bother with upstand so maybe I'm searching with the wrong keywords on checkatrade or have a bad luck. Should I simply search for a roofer or someone who specifically deals with roof lights?

Hmm..anything wrong with Checkatrade? How do folks here usually search for a tradesperson?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back