Should I replace this PVC roof lantern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our current house about a year ago. You can see that our dining room has a roof lantern roughly 2.5 x 2.5m in size. The previous owners went for what I think must have been a fairly cheap PVC unit. It has been really cold in winter and actually far worse in summer as the garden faces south west. One of the internal panes shattered a few months ago so I expect things to be even worse when the weather turns cold.

Replacing the broken pane will cost around £300 and a blind to improve the thermal properties of the lantern will cost at least £1500. With that in mind, I was eyeing up a new alumiunium Korniche unit for about £1900.

The issue I'm having is that I think a new upstand will need to be built as this roof lantern appears to have been installed without one. Any of the roofers I've spoke to who will repair the flat roof seem not to want to touch the lantern.

How would you go about tackling this project?

At the moment, I'm thinking:

1. Wait until the weather starts to get warmer next year
2. Have a roofer remove the roof lantern and repair the flat roof
3. Cover the hole with plywood/tarp while a joiner builds a new upstand to fit the space
4. Order a custom-sized roof lantern from Korniche to fit
5. DIY install the roof lantern

Sponsored Links
I think your on the right lines as what you have there is conservatory roof.
Velux do a flat roof skylight 1.5m2

A quick Google would appear to suggest that you are right. I wondered where there was no upstand and it 'featured' a gutter around the edge.

Could the upstand be built first based on the dimensions of the reveal on the inside? This would give me an idea of the size of roof lantern I'd need to order (lead time of about 2 weeks) and would mean that the roofer could make the upstand waterproof along with the rest of the flat roof.

DIY roof upstand looks tricky...probably best left to a joiner/builder?

Assuming it could be made to work, I'd be able to have the roofer finish their work and then put the new lantern straight on which looks like a reasonably straightforward DIY job:

My concern here is needing to order something bespoke from Korniche that arrives but then doesn't fit the space.

Sponsored Links
Or just ditch the rooflight altogether and stick some flat roof in, avoiding any future issues and meaningfully improve the overall insulation of the room.

Would it though? Most kitchens don't have a rooflight do they, they don't generally seem dark.
You can see in this pic from when we bought the house that the living room would probably become quite dark if the roof lantern were removed. That said...I'm sure we could make it work but if the flat roof needs to be rebuilt, I'd quite happily pay a bit extra to the natural light coming in.

10474_10381892_IMG_02_0000.jpeg

Update: I ended up finding a roofer who was happy to replace the flat roof with GRP and install a Korniche lantern for me. I then found EOS Rooflights: https://www.eosrooflights.co.uk/ who supplied a insulated upstand to fit the reveal and a Korniche lantern to fit the upstand.

Total cost was in the region of £6K all-in. This included solar reflective glass. The upgrade has transformed the space and the new lantern has been superb. Heat gain in direct sunlight is minimal now and the whole space is way more comfortable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back