Flat Roofs and Mushrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new extension built with a flat roof measuring 3m x 5m including a sky lantern 1.5m x 3m, so very little roof surrounding the lantern. It is a cold flat roof, therefore the void which is 60mm deep needs ventilation. We have been recommended to use 4 x Oft1f 166 mushrooms by the company advisor. Not only are these enormous and will be obstructive to access if needed, I think it is somewhat overkill. What alternatives do I have to convince Building Control, will be grateful for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
does the roof have an abutment at the upslope end, if so you can get a flat roof abutment ventilator, or build one using timber and an over fascia ventilator covered with a weatherproof flashing.

Completely fill the roof with insualtion to the required L1 standard, then it wont need ventilating.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, woody

I have not seen that method mentioned, that's all.

If you can guarantee no air flow through the layers then it might work, but as soon as any air comes through you'll get condensation in the layers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back