UPVC Cylinder Door Lock - What Length Screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a house and I am doing it up.

I am locking to change all the cylinder locks, however the screws are a bit worn out and are not coming out normally or via the 'elastic band' trick.

Next step is to get the drill extractor bits and drill into them and retrieve them. However I haven't even got a replacement cylinders yet as want current cylinder out to measure properly before ordering.

When I extract the screw, it'll obviously be fudged, and I want to put the existing cylinder back after I measure it and wait for new cylinder to arrive. What length screws should I have in my back pocket to re-fix cylinder? I know they're M5, but should I get M50, M70, M30 etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't you just measure it in situ?

i.e. edge of the door to furthest side of the euro cylinder.

Can't you just measure it in situ?

i.e. edge of the door to furthest side of the euro cylinder.

I did hear you can do that, but assume theres a risk I could be 5mm out then lock could be stick out or recede a bit further then i'd like.... Then I wont be able to return cylinder lock as it would be opened and used etc.

I was talking about the screw BTW, not the cylinder. What I've drawn on in red...

CENTRECASE.jpg

...which is just the backset plus 5mm.

Sponsored Links
Measure width of door and handle covers bingo size of cylinder it’s likely to be 70 or 80 mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back