upvc doorr - cylinder lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved house and I obviously wish to change the locks on all our doors. Last night I attempted to change the cylinder lock of the upvc door. I don't know the size of the lock at the front so I attempted to take it out last night to measure it. I took a long screw on the side of the door which let me slide the lock back and forth but unfortunately it didn't come out.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just assumed I took out one screw, pop the lock out, measure it and pop it back it in again. I didn't want to give it a good clout in case I damaged anything and ended up with no lock until I've bought a new one.

Cheers :?:

Sponsored Links
with the screw out have you put the key in and tried turning it while you pull it out.

Sponsored Links
On a similar note : I have just acquired a house which has the UPVC door outermost, inside of that is a conventional wooden front door. There is no key for the external door and I have also tried to move the lock with no luck, which I do understand is due to not having the key in the lock. How do I now deal with it?
I presume the key raises the tumblers and assists the turning and sliding, so is there any other way to move it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back