uPVC door handle / lock operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and have a question about the uPVC porch door lock.

It has a split spindle and the external handle does nothing (up or down) and the internal handle retracts the latch (down) but does nothing (up). I cannot get the deadlock to activate and therefore cannot lock it with the key. Any ideas why that might be?

Ideally, I would like both handles to extend the deadlock when I push them up so I can double lock the door if I want.

Thank in advance for any advice you can give.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the installers of PVC doors do a really poor job of alignment between the locks and their keepers. Can you deadbolt the door when its open - if so then it's an alignment problem. Get the installers back to correct their botch-up.

You’ve misunderstood or I haven’t been clear enough.
This is a uPVC door with multipoint locking. To my knowledge you have to push the handle up to activate the locks, only then can you use the key to lock the handles.
My problem is that pushing the handles up do not activate the locks.

But if the bolts, hooks or whatever else they are called do not travel their full distance, the lock barrel cannot be turned. Can you complete the operations when the door is opened such that nothing impedes movement of the mechanism.

Sponsored Links
I understand the key cannot be turned in the euro lock unluss the bolts/hooks are fully extended but the problem is they cannot be extended at all (when the door is open or closed).

Pushing either handle up does nothing, the handles go up but they do not engage the mechanism at all, nothing bites.

I have already replaced the euro cylinder and handles but the problem remains. An issue with the spindle maybe? Does anyone know how this setup should work?

Thanks

Hi there, I hope you got this resolved but if not, it sounds to me like the gearbox on the multipoint lock could be knackered. Depending on the manufacturer, you might be able to get a replacement gearbox but chances are high you're gonna have to replace the full kength lock. Let me know if you stil need one.

Toni

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back