UPVC door hinge - facing / cover broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching to no avail with this one - the cover / facing on the arm of an external UPVC patio door hinge appears to have been weathered away to virtually nothing leaving what appears to be a composite inner. It doesn't seem to be getting worse but is unsightly, and the other hinge covers may be going the same way. Does anyone know of repair options? Thanks.

IMG_2940.JPG

Sponsored Links
It's a 'Trojan patriot 3D flag hinge'

What's happened is the powder coating has failed and now the bare aluminium underneath is oxidizing, you could pop the front covers off I think and sand them down, primer and paint them or get them re powder coated, but then it might be cheaper to just replace the complete hinge, doubt very much that you could just buy the front covers

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I think attempting a cosmetic fix might be in order as a first option

Sponsored Links
Good point. Excuse the ignorance but I take it replacing the bottom hinge entirely wouldn't require the door to actually be removed (it would instead still hang on the two hinges still in place above while doing the job)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back