Flag Hinge Covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

found this forum having spent the better part of the weekend trying to figure out how to remove a door, without much success!

I have an external UPVC door between my kitchen and Conservatory, that I am replacing with another, fully glass (for light) UPVC door.

I don't appear to have enough headroom to lift the door off the hinges (door hits on the return sill at the top before it can come off hinge) so I'm assuming my only option is to remove the door from the hinges entirely, which means getting behind the cover plate.

Problem is, I cant figure out how to get the cover off to get at the screws!

There's no screw on the back and no obvious clip which releases it. I've used the allen key to move the door as far along the hinge as possible, which exposes a hole on the back, but pushing in there with a screwdriver doesn't obviously release anything (even if I hit it with a hammer)
IMG_20170605_131136.jpg
IMG_20170605_131139.jpg
IMG_20170605_131146.jpg
IMG_20170605_131136.jpg IMG_20170605_131139.jpg IMG_20170605_131146.jpg .

Anyone have any idea how to get this door off?

Attached some images of the hinge. Any help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Lift it up off it's hinge pins

Tried that already, you might have missed it in the OP. Theres not enough headroom in the doorframe, top of the door hits the frame before the door can come off teh hinge pins. Thats why I need to get into the hinge to undo the screws attaching the actual door (I think, unless theres a better idea?)

Sorry I scrolled down to your photos and missed the text above, will the cover knock over to the left? Can you get something thin behind it - where the Allen key hole,is, it might pop off and swing around?

Sponsored Links
No worries. :D

No. but it does look like it's hinged that way, that it is somehow meant to swing open from the front right, away from the door. It just looks like it needs some sort of "release" and I cant find it. I've tried the hole on the back and the hole on the front to see if theres anything obvious, but nothing that is releasing any of the 3 hinges. I'm hoping theres a "trick" to it or something. :)

I've had a quick look around the net to see if there's any info on it, it's a BKV challenger 3d hinge if you have some time on your hands

Cheers, that.s one better than my two days of searching had managed, at least I have a name for it now! :)

Unfortunately, not a specification document to be found yet, just a lot of places saying its obsolete.

If your replacing the door anyway why not just cut through the hinges?

:)

So, to complicate matters further, the full glass door I am replacing this one with is from a set of double patio doors that were about 3 feet from this one. I'm blocking up where they are coming from.

But they all have the same hinges, so I'm assuming I'll have the same issue putting the new door back on, so I need to figure out how to get into the hinge, if not for the old door, for teh new one. :)

So, eventually drilled the hinges off the old door to see if I could figure out how to get them off the new one (low and behold theres not enough headroom to lift that on either :()

Below are pictures of the hinge cover, which seems to have a couple of little hooks on the back that holds the plate in place, no screw or grub or anything to flip it off. If anyone has any ideas how to get this front cover off the door I'm keeping without damaging the door, feel free to let me know, I cant for the life of me figure out how these things were ever supposed to come off again! :)
IMG_20170605_213519.jpg
IMG_20170605_213533.jpg

So they wrap around the hinge pin side and the right hand side must just thump on, once it's on its on and the adjustment is though the hole

Aye, that's what I'm worried about. Might need to cut them all off and buy some new hinges. I'm only about 7 or 8 mil from being able to lift them on. Other option I guess is to cut a bit off the top of the hinge pins?

I'm faced with a similar problem (how to get the hinges off without damaging the door). Which part of the hinge did you drill to release the cover?

OK - so for completion in case anyone else ends up looking for a similar solution. I was able to get the cover off by placing a phillips screwdriver into the adjustment access hole and prying the driver so that it just flexed the 'clip' part of the cover off the lugs to release the cover. All four came off without difficulty.

Sea spray,

I have got the same hinges with the same problem, can you detail exactly what you did to release the caps please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back