UPVC Door hinge problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top hinge screws are loose and causing the door to drop slightly.When I take the door off I am still unable to tighten the screws due to the bar the door swings off. How do I get to the screws? On the chance that the screws are no longer biting if I tighten them should I add a bit of foil into the
hole to pack it slightly? Or try and find larger screws.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
IMG-20170727-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170727-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Only a guess but I think the pin may be screwed in from underneath but the screw slot looks graunched!
Try wrapping a bit of rubber around the pin to protect it and try turning with pliers.

Thanks for the replies. A pair of grips and a lot of pulling and it came out. Seems to have a bit with vertical grooves in it which fits into the corresponding bit of the hinge. Unfortunately the holes for the screws I was trying to tighten back up are too loose. I have filled them with wood chiselled into dowels. Does anyone have any ideas for a longer term fix please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back