upvc door hinges need adjusting ... with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have difficulty locking my white upvc door in the summer when it's hot, as it seems to swell up.
I notice that the plastic 'bearing' on the 4 hinges has worn significantly (on all four). Can I 'adjust' them in some way ?
Hinge --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/obvious123/upper_mid_web.jpg

I looked on screwfix for replacement hinges, but they are the wrong size (width & depth are the same as current hinge, but height of my hinge is longer - by 16mm - product number : 66385) .

Is it possible to replace the 4 hinges with new ones - even if smaller than originals ?

My concern is that the current hinges are screwed into the upvc frame so what does the screw bed into ? If it's wood, then that's easy enough to do, but if it's metal lugs or something, then presumably the new hinges would have to be aligned somehow with the proper lugs ?

I don't mind replacing the hinges, I just don't know if it will work & I don't want to make the door any worse than it already is ...

Any advice would be appreciated ... thanks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
obvious said:
Can I 'adjust' them in some way ?
No, they are not adjustable.

Where is the problem, is it catching on the corner?

masona said:
obvious said:
Can I 'adjust' them in some way ?
No, they are not adjustable.

Where is the problem, is it catching on the corner?

Thanks masona for your reply, I thought they didn't look like they could be adjusted !
The only problem I'm getting is the door if difficult to lock/unlock in the summer. It's as if the upvc swells & stops the lock mechanism from working.
I had the glass replaced last year as all the panes had misted, but this problem still persists.
I think it's being caused by the hinge grommets (don't know the technical term for them) ??? (plastic) bits, which bear the load of the door, being worn down over time.
I say this as the grommet at the base of each hinge is badly worn, whereas the one above (which doesn't bear much load) is almost perfect.
I would just like to replace the hinges, but I'm not sure what they screw into in the door or on the hinge side.
Any advice will be appreciated...
Thanks

obvious said:
I'm not sure what they screw into in the door or on the hinge side.
They are self tap into a metal box section, when the door is open does the door feel loose when rocking it against the hinges?

I'm thinking that the door maybe is out of square slightly which will need Toeing and heeling then your lock may line up correctly, see this for Toeing & Heeling, scroll down to the instruction.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
when the door is open does the door feel loose when rocking it against the hinges?

No it doesn't. I can't get it to rock ... but last weekend I cut some plastic grommets out, drilled a hole through them & inserted them on two out of four of the load bearing hinges. To do this I literally jacked the door using a car jack (moved about 0.25 of an inch up on the non hinge side).
This is only a temp solution.
I notice when the door is shut, viewed from the outside, there is a narrow gap between both doors (of about 1/4 of an inch), yet at the bottom of the door it's more like 3/4 of an inch. So the door isn't square & by the sound of it needs jacking. The guy that replaced the glass obviously didn't do a very good job !
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back