1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

uPVC door issue + identifying mechanism.

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by 5oysterman2, 12 Mar 2021.

1. 5oysterman2

5oysterman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Evening guy's. I tried to remove the door mechanism (photo attached). It wouldn't come out anymore than the pic show's. I didn't want to force it out, without checking with you guys first.
    To remove it fully, is just a matter of getting a screwdriver in & forcing it out or do I need to do something else.
    I want to replace it, but can't seem to find any marking's on it, so how do i identify it? Regards Doug

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Nothing stopping that other than maybe a bit of pvc swarf or its a little tight in the slot

4. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. 5oysterman2

5oysterman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers for that, removed it this morning. A bit of gentle force did it. Manufacturer is Winkhaus.

Found an issue with the deadlatch thou. When you unlock the door, occasionally the deadlatch doesn't retract back into the door fully. I'm concerned i might not get into the property one day.

Is it something that is fixable or replacement needed.
    Regards Doug

6. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Not repairable in terms of taking the lid off the gearbox and replacing a part but repairable in that you just replace the gearbox BUT ONLY if it's removable, some aren't as they're riveted on while some are held on with tiny torx screws usually 3, a close up pic of the gearbox where it fixes to the long strip and I'll tell you

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As Crank says gearbox may be replaceable , plenty of Winkhaus gearboxes available on the likes of evil Bay, just make sure the measurements line up AND that visually they look the same.

And I stand corrected about the indent Macos is much deeper than Winkhaus 's

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. 5oysterman2

5oysterman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers for the reply crank39. Didn't see any way that gearbox could be removed when i took it apart earlier today. Will take it apart again later & double check.
    Regards Doug

10. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    No need to remove it again, the screws are visible on the face of the strip

11. 5oysterman2

5oysterman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not removable then.
    Do I need to get another Winkhaus one or can i buy elsewhere? Regards Doug

Attached Files:

12. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    If your just replacing the gearbox then it's like for like, if your changing the whole strip then you can change to a different make but I can't see why you should and winkhaus are a pretty decent make, changing to a different make would mean routering out the pvc to account for different positions of the hook gearboxes as well as then the keeps on the frame then having to set the door up again, it's doable but labour intensive

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depending on the cost ( and availability as I've come across full Winkhaus locks no longer being available) , you could opt for the Yale universal lock with 4 roller cams. It should come with a new lock plate for the frame to. Fairly easy to fit, may require small adjustments to frame but nothing major

• Thanks Thanks x 1