uPVC Door latch issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with a slight issue i have with my uPVC front door.

I came home from work the other night and put my key in the door and turned it, it felt a bit stiffer than usual and after i had turned it all the way i realised that my partners keys were in the other side of the door.

The door opened but now I have a problem. When there are no keys in the door and you pull the handle down, the door latch doesnt move. If you lift the handle up, all the door locks still work and the door still locks fine but the latch doesnt come down.

I have only two ways now to open the door, i can either put my key in the door and turn it all the way so it moves the latch in, or put my key in the door turn it as if i was going to use the key to open the latch but if i only turn it slightly, the handle works again. As soon as I turn the key back to take it out, the handle goes down but the latch doesnt move.

I have tried putting both keys back in the door and reversing what i did but it hasnt worked.

I had a tinker with the "machine screw" (i think its called) and when i undo this slightly the lock works again, although i am not brave enough yet to unscrew it completely unless it leaves me with out a working lock/door.

The make of the lock is a Yale if that is any help.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can repair this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Stuart.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back