Dodgy multipoint lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my front uPVC door, the handle cannot be used to open the door as the latch in the door will not retract. The handle can be moved down however nothing actually happens.

The only way I can open the door is to use the key, if I turn it as if to open the door and hold it, the latch goes into the door and allows me to open the door.

Strangely though, I can lift the handle to lock the door and it will lock no problem.

Any advice on how I can sort this please, or what might be wrong? I can't open the door without using the key at all.

Sponsored Links
When turned about halfway, it retracts about 2mm and stays there. If I turn it beyond that, it clicks and as though it slips and comes back out again. Nothing happens when using the outer handle.

The key is needed on both sides, when turned anticlockwise and held back, the door just swings open and no need to move the handle.

Thanks for the swift reply

Sponsored Links
If you need to use the key on the outside to retract the latch but on the inside the lever is used then you have a split spindle mechanism with a lever/pad handle (i'm guessing), its this way to stop undesirables opening your door from outside by just pushing the lever down, effectively they need the key, just like a yale lock.

Not quite sure whats happening with the clicking latch though, sounds as though the mechanism is busted to be honest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back