upvc door opens from outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i went to visit a freind the other day, she is disabled and lives in a council house with her kids, i noticed that you can open the front upvc door by simply pulling the handle down. I asked her about this and she said thats how it is, anyone can walk into the house..isnt that kind of dangerous ?..as she is alone sometimes in the house.. The lock was changed recently because a key had broke by the council and i think the comapny that manages council properties is called "waites"...you can lock it from the inside with a key, and also lock it from the outside as well when you are going out but she doesnt go out much...thought this was very odd...?

Sponsored Links
I assume it's a euro lock. Ask the council to change the spindle from a fixed spindle to a split spindle...

image.png

Then, you need a key from the outside to get in, even when it's not 'properly locked' (ie pulled the handle up and turned the key).

I suggest you get a keysafe and fix it to the outside wall, regular visitors and carers are told the procedure. You agree on a 4 digit code and then after you've locked the door on your way out you secure the key in the box. I suggest changing the door cylinder to a thumb turn inside so that the external key will always work - if you have a standard cylinder inside and the key is left in by accident then the external key wont work.
I suugest a sold secure keysafe which is about £70 online, the cylinder is about £20 and the labour to fit both will be an hour so about £50 to £75 this will provide a very good solution for your friends situation without a lot of hassle. Also you can periodically change the code.
A more expensive option is by way of an aftermarket solenoid lock which is electric this works independently of the door lock and is fixed to the surface of the door, when operated by a remote or key code the magnet releases and the door will open. I suggest a fail safe version which will unlock if the power fails so the door lock still needs to be used when the occupants are asleep at night in case the electricity trips etc.
Tell your friend that the work can be zero rated for vat if it's for disabled adaption purpose, which it obviously is.
Hope this helps
Darran.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys - apparently its what the company fits on houses with a disabled resident so i was told when i rang up. i can see the point that it would be a inconvenience for the disbaled person to having constantly struggle to answer the door evrytime someone comes knocking,specially if they have difficulty walking and are in a wheelchair, but at the same time its a bit worrying that anyone can come into the house..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back