UPVC door panel removal/replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this isn't regarded as a stupid question...

I have recently moved into a house with UPVC doors and windows all round...
I don't know the make or model of the doors...

I want to fit a cat-flap to the back door, but the lower door panel has a pair of raised mouldings that would make sealing against draughts very hard...

My questions are:
1. I have found a supplier for the panel at http://www.catflaps.com/en-gb/dept_96.html but they aren't cheap...Are there any alternative suppliers?

2. To even order a panel, I need to measure the thickness of the existing one...To do this it needs to be removed from the door...Any ideas how to go about this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There are loads of suppliers go to a local glass company that also do upvc they should be able to sell you a flat panel for about £45 quid.
To take it out there are 2 options
1- if internally glazed get a decorators scraper and use it to get the beads off and if externally glazed same method but it will be in a glazing tape or you will have to pull the internal gaskets out 1st.
Out of interest what was they charging, i normally supply and fit panel and catflap for about £75

The lower panel isn't glazed, but has a moulded uPVC panel...it is held in with strips and beading, but I can't work out how to remove the strips without damaging them...

The link I quoted charges £50 for a panel, uncut...I can cut easily enough, though...

Sponsored Links
Old topic I know but current for me.

To replace the standard white UVPC panel

1: Remove the rubber seals on the OUTSIDE of the door first. This will then enable the panel to move insitu and give you enough slack to remove the plastic beading with seal attached which you find on the INSIDE much easier by using a scraper etc as said. Note the beading INSIDE comes off particular sections, such as left side, top side, right side, bottom side, though I dont thionk it matters taking it off, but it will surely when putting it back together as I think some ends are not cut to shaped and remain squared, which allows each piece to hold the other in place to a certain extent, obviously the angle cuts go on top of the squared edges so it all looks neat and tapered when finished. So you would replace thus eg: left side first, then top, then right,then bottom. Yours may vary.

2: You can get very reasonable priced panels on EBAY etc and some will even cut them to size for you. Just search for UVPC panels cut to size.

3: When replacing the panel put it in the door first, then replace the INSIDE beading in the required order. Leaving the outside rubbers seals till last. Easy peasy in this example, though not all doors are the same.

4: Most panels are not reinforced so you may wish to opt for a reinforced one when you replace it. They add a bit of ply in the middle for strength.

On a diy SCALE OF 1/10 ITS GOT TO BE EASY AT AROUND 3. Great site BTW :)

PS: Once you start messing around with this double glazing malarky you soon realise how insecure it is. So get yourself an alarm. YALE do a good wireless version that does the job for the DIY market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back