Upvc door problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
This is a bit of a daft one but here goes.
About 3 years ago I bought a upvc door from B&Q which was being sold off very cheap. I bought it to replace my porch door which is hinged on the wrong side in relation to the inner door and is looking a bit rough. The existing porch door was also bought from a shed so was a standard size and this new one would be a simple replacement.
Anyway I've finally got around to fitting it (I know) and so removed the old door and dragged the new one out of the garage. I took the wrapping off, put a square spindle and a handle on and tried to open it but it was locked. The instructions said it was locked and to temporarily put the euro barrel in and unlock it.
I've just spent 40 minutes trying to unlock it but it won't budge. The key turns the lock but the handle won't move a millimetre. I've tried taking the barrel out and lifting the thing the locks peg hits as it turns with a screwdriver. It moves from side to side but no matter what position it is in I can't turn the handle.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Just had another look and noticed what might be the problem. In the picture just above the keyhole there is two oblong pins that slide along as the key turns. I've lifted the spring loaded plunger that sits between the pins and this moves them though only about 2mm. The slot the oblong pins are in is about 10 or 11mm long so I'm guessing the pins should move to the far end of the slot. IMG_20170617_204747.jpg

As you haven't fitted the door yet it is probably just out of square and adjustment which puts pressure on the locking mech.
Try really lifting the handle to release the pressure while turning the key

As you haven't fitted the door yet it is probably just out of square and adjustment which puts pressure on the locking mech.
Try really lifting the handle to release the pressure while turning the key
I tried that I even turned the door upside door and on it's side but nothing.
This morning I tried again and got it open. I forced the spring loaded plunger between the 2 horizontal pins up with a screwdriver and moved the pins the 2 millimetres they would only move. I then got an electricians screwdriver and forced it into the 2mm gap and turned the handle. I couldn't believe it when I felt the pins move, the handle turned and the door opened. I've fitted the lock and handles and it works perfectly not in the frame so it may be what you said. I won't be locking it again till I'm sure there is no longer a problem. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
If the lock all works ok when the door is open then it was likely what I said and just pressure on the locking gear. Once its all fitted and adjusted nice and square it should work fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back