UPVC Door problems :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our door has two problems:

1, Since moving into the property about 5 months ago, the door has been tricky to lock, you had to lift up the handle to locate the hooks (I think thats what they are called) prior to being able to lock the door. , This is normal, but you have to put a lot of leverage upwards to enable the door to lock. Im concerned my partner is going to snap the handle off as sometimes she really gives it some...lol Any ideas what to check and or adjust?

2, This weekend, struggling to insert key into lock form outside only, needs a realy good wiggle and push to get it in, but locks ok, tried two keys, both same. Im concerned we could end up locking our selfs out if we cant get key in. Does it sound like a broken barrel? how easy are these to replace? any other ideas?

Ive fitted Upvc doors and windows in the past, but never needed to replace locks etc so this bits new to me, and thaught it best to check first before I take out the "BIG" hammer to the job...

Thanks in advance

M.A.

Sponsored Links
If you've fitted pvc before you should be able to understand this, here goes.....

1. Handle hard to lift.

Does it work normally when you lift the handle and turn the key with the door open? My guess it will be easier. If its hard to lock when shut then this leads me to think the door needs toeing and heeling OR using the flag hinges (hopefully it has these) the door needs to be adjusted so its closer to the lock side. Another thing to try is to back off the roller cams, these should be adjustable via a torx driver in the centre of the cams or maybe the keeps on the frame are adjustable.

2. Key difficult to put in.

Try a bit of WD or vasaline and work it in, it may just be the cold weather. To replace the barrel then open the door and look at the locking mechanism at the same level as the barrel, you should see a phillips screw head, remove this screw, it should be a long 50mm machine screw not a self tapping type, once screw is out the barrel in some cases will slide out, if not put key in and turn to either roughly 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock, it may help you if you remove the handles also

Good luck :D

Air duster in all latches and crevices, then a blast everywhere with wd40 and both problems now fixes...

Many thanks

M.A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back