Upvc double glaze top panel opening window

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the espag handle on one of the upvc has become very tight to close.(top opening type) so i changed the
Handle but still the same problem i.e.tight. so i think possibly the dead bolt gear mechanism is faulty.
If so to replace the same will i have to remove all the extensions or is it just to remove two screw which
Is holding the gear mechanism which is marked spectus and straight forward replacement..thanking
In advance for all the help/advise
P.s. if poss advise where i can get replacement spectus part

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is the handle still still while the window is open?
It may just need lubricating with some silicone or graphite spray.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Thank you gazman when the window is open the handle is in normal position.Will try the spray as advised mrs finds the
Handle stiff but i can just about turn with little more force the opening of next window is much easier.

If the handle works ok while the window is open then it is most likely that the window itself needs adjusting

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Thanks again ! I think you are spot on this one!
Is this easy do able by novice ? And what is involved
Any link/video that you are aware which has step by step guide?

Thats the tricky bit to explain.
Start by checking the keeps in the frame for signs of rubbing, You could remove them one by one to see if its just one that its catching on.

Once you know where its catching/rubbing you will probably need to adjust the hinges and to do that you will have to take the sash out and adjust where the hinges are screwed into the sash.

• Thanks
Being of retired age the project sounds and looks challenging! Also the concerned window is bedroom one! If i
Take a wrong turn she will never forgive me for being without the opening! Lol! Once again thank you very much
I intend to have a go on a weekend when the neighbour (expert diyer) is indoor so can ask for help if am stuck.
Regards gazman

No problem.
Its normally a case of the window had dropped down a few mm from the weight of the glass. Sometimes just one side, sometimes the whole thing and sometimes just in the middle.

If its just the middle the PVC sash may have just sagged a bit and a few knocks back up from underneath with a block of wood and a hammer may sort it.

If its at the sides the only adjustment is on the sides of the sash. It can sometimes be done off a ladder from outside (depending on how deep in your window is set to the house will determine whether or not you can get a screwdriver to the top screws)
9 times out of 10 it is a take the sash out job, Which is much easier if you take the glass out first, Hopefully its an internally beaded window.

If it comes to it pop into a couple of local double glazing company's and ask for an estimate. If you were local to me I would say about £60 but London may be double or triple that.

One thing I forgot to ask, Is the window still under guarantee?

• Thanks
No guarantee on the windows! After further help from you i think the pvc has sagged a little in the middle and
Once she is out shopping next week will have a go.The good news is access to window is easy i can stand on
the flat roof (extension downstairs) so no outside ladder job.Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back