UPVC frame and door install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
basically got a friend of a friend to fit my door frame with panels at each side (all in one frame 2000mm x 1800mm) glowing recommendations etc etc

After 8 hours he still hasnt got it finished - I even helped him remove all the old wooden frame and door, hes only got the frame screwed into the brickwork and the panel in but the frame is scew by about an inch on the left compared to the right hand side (its futher set back on the left if this makes sense).
The door opens but does not click shut, it needs to be closed fully and then the handle pulled up to lock.
When the door is closed until the bottom corner of door touches the frame the top corner is about 1/4 inch away from the frame. This is stopping the door from just being pushed closed and it "clicking" shut

Not a happy bunny and told him not to come back luickily I he ran out of time before he started to silicone - he also appears to have only screwed the sides as the frame and it has a load of give in it,

Anybody in Teesside area TS19XXX - fancy a cash job to refit this and make good interior :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear of your problems. Unfortunately I am too far distant to help but this sounds like a typical plastic door/window fitter i.e. no idea about plumb and level and shares in silicon companies. I have just scrapped all my plastic and replaced with alluminium windows and well painted hemlock doors, all fitted with a plumb bob and proffesional glaziers level. No more draughts from twisted frames!!!

so should the frame be drilled and fixed at the top and bottom ?

The top has a steel lintel so may prove difficult but the frame should not move around like this surely (about a 15mm gap at top of frame to lintel) he was taking about filling the gap with expanding foam first saying it would set like concrete in my experience its very soft and you can push your fingers in it - didnt sound like it would do the job to me!

expanding foam may be soft and you may be able to poke your fingers into it but it would have a continual grab along the whole surface which in turn would be very strong, unless you pick it all out again :p

Sponsored Links
When he has fitted it he has cut the Cill to length, then screwed the cill to the frame, then lifted the frame into the opening and levelled up using packers at the ends and middle.

He doesnt appear to have screwed the base of the frame, at all is this normal?, I would have thought it needed a level base of mortar or at least silicone under the cill to stop drafts and rain/damp

PS no DPM used either ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back