upvc handle screw bolts does not fit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I m trying to replace old (worn) pvc handles, current handles connected via 4.80mm (approximately diameter , vernier caliper shows around 4.77 so I assume is 4.80)
new one's comes with 5.80mm , I assumed were "standard" so I did not check the specs (were no specs at all about the screw sizes for the new handles anyway).
Issue is that the bottom screw fits, but the top not! As the UPVC mechanism allows only the old size to be fit there (arrow shows the TOP screw)

P1140270.JPG

Do I need now as well a new lock mechanism now? Or is it possible to wide a bit the current pass-through hole (unless is a critical point for the lock mechanism).

screw to screw distance on handle is 122mm (bottom screw is under the cylinder lock -not pictured)

thanks for any help!

chris

Sponsored Links
Old screws have smaller diameter can't be screwed on the handles.

Just to update: new handles are PAS24 (as I understand its a "standard") by Mila (same company of the locking mechanism of the upvc door)

Last edited:
Most handles I have came across ,the screw doesnt thread into the handle ,they just poke thru and screw into the bit on the window . maybe I am conjuring up the wrong mental picture of what you describe ?

Sponsored Links
"New" screws (are M6 as I googling now - please correct me if I am wrong) can't passthrought via the locking mechanism (designed for M5 screws), old screws does not thread, as they have smaller diametrer.

Anyway, as I see now the handles have screw-on thread (replaceable?)
I am going to contact Mila in the case they offer too an M5 thread adapter or replacement for them

Do you think guys, that is possible to crack open the locking mechanism?
P1140271.JPG
many thanks for any help/ideas...

chris

SUCCESS!!!

I managed to hack the gearbox :)

Using 6mm drill, I drilled both sides of that hole and hacked the supporting spacer.
P1140273.JPG

I also, had to make a hole on the side,as its not good idea to have a roaming part into the locking mechanism :) , dremel cut the metal like butter :)
P1140274.JPG

As I can see, the spacer supported a spring, but not a major issue as it will be supported
by the M6 screw.
P1140275.JPG

BTW. Mila tech support was nice, they suggested to return the handle and get another variant, but its not possible, as I accidentally scratched the paint of one handle (sh*t happens).

Many thanks again for your ideas/replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back