UPVC patio doors bowing in middle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First post here! I've got some Patiomaster doors which I've had a fair amount of trouble with them since their installation in 2017. They've been adjusted multiple times - despite this, they bow in the middle (the gap between the doors is smaller than at the top and bottom). They've recently been adjusted again by the installers (who have been very accommodating) who have bonded the glass to the frame + using packing material (or something similar - I'm no expert) but the problem continues to persist.

Is this a known issue with UPVC patio doors? If so, can it be remedied? If it's not a known issue, does anyone have suggestions around what to do next? The installer is FENSA registered so the doors come with a 10 year guarantee.

Attachments

• 20200212_070142.jpg
    20200212_070142.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 20200212_070138.jpg
    20200212_070138.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 20200212_070133.jpg
    20200212_070133.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 519
  • 20200212_070130.jpg
    20200212_070130.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 412
Sponsored Links
You must have a lot of patience!

By now I would of lost my patience with the company who supplied/fitted them and told them to replace them.

If the doors have been adjusted countless times and it hasn't solved the issue then you should be telling this company to replace them as clearly adjusting them is never going to fix the issue.

I suspect they are very accomodating as it's cheaper for them to keep popping around to adjust then it is to replace the doors/frame

@sircerebus666 - well, I was told that UPVC doors expand/contract based on temperature changes and this is normal. What I'm getting from you is that this isn't normal (in particular, this level of bowing), which suggests the next course of action is to ask for a replacement set.

Yes I would be asking for a replacement set , is this the only problem you have had with these doors/frame?

Sponsored Links
I'd say so - the left door is a little stiff on the rail but not something a bit of WD40 wouldn't sort out. Spoke to the installer and they've referred it to the manufacturer, will provide an update in due course.

When closing the door, do you also lift up the handle which engages the multipoint lock? The multipoint lock, you'll notice by the shape, doesn't just prevent the door being opened, it also keeps it aligned.

Nozzle

@Nozzle 100% correct, lifting the handle engages the multipoint lock. Until the most recent adjustment locking the door was fine - the mechanism is somewhat stiff now, indicating it is misaligned. This doesn't contribute to the bowing problem as far as I can tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back