UPVC profile type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could anyone please inform me as to which profile to go for between Veka, Swish or Kommerling???
What I mean is which one is the better quality in terms of durable performance, not how long it’ll last. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most if not all profiles are pretty much all the same nowadays and the only real difference is the look or the moulding, performance wise then all much of a muchness, it's more about the fitting - that is more important, there's a lot of fitters and service engineers on this section and we all say the same, a poor window fitted well is better than a top spec window that's been fitted poorly

It's all in the fitting!

As Cranks says they are all good profiles (and there any many other good ones too).
Its all if the fitting, Guarantees and customer service.

Go with a local trusted firm preferably with a few recommendations from friends and family. Avoid the national company's like the plague.

I have seen some cheap profiles which have warped and not only the colour changed but it’s peripheral devices had failed, as this particular house had two separate extensions made so all three sections had different profile windows. With the last extension having the most expensive one being the best profile and that after 5 years of service is the best performing one. It was only within two years span that these two extensions were built. Yet the old ones weren’t used as much as the new build being first floor bedroom windows where as the extensions were all ground floor ones. So to conclude the brand of profile does matter and I think the best ones are Rehau, Veka, Kömmerling, Swish etc

Sponsored Links
Peripheral devices have nothing to do with the profile(the extruder of the plastic), handles, hinges, locks are made by others and all require periodic maintanence

The brands are just the PVC. These are made in 6m lengths and sold onto factory's that cut, weld, put it all together and add handles and hinges etc.
Factory's all use different makes of locks, handles, hinges etc

I possibly should reword my previous statement to "Its all in the manufacturing, fitting, Guarantees and customer service".

Although technically Guarantees and customer service already covers that.
I personally do manufacturers guarantee + 10 years on the fitting.
Most of my suppliers are 10 years on everything (but there are so many products available now that it can vary) If a sash drops, A unit mists up, A handles breaks etc as long as it hasn't been abused (and has at least been kept clean) I will replace it free of charge for upto 10 years.

If I turn up and a part is caked in crap that has obviously caused the damage I will charge but thats rare.

The majority of company's generally do 10 years on the frames, 5 years on the glass, 1 year on fitting and moving parts so like I say its about finding a good fitting company.

Personally I don't advertise at all (van isn't even sign written) all my work is from word of mouth recommendations.
Doing the odd repair for free every now and then takes an hour or so of my time but it more than pays for itself in the free advertising I get from them telling their friends

Company's like me are quite rare nowadays though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back