Upvc sash window stuck

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, anyone have an idea of how to get this window open. It only opens a small bit and not as far as the sash restrictors. There are 2 knobs, pic shows one in place and one screwed out. The hole left of the one screwed out doesn't look as if it was done at manufacture, seems a bit untidy. These 2 knobs slide across a small bit to the inside, could they be some kind of lock?
Many thanks for any help, want to get this window open fully in this heat!

Attachments

• 20200803_103655.jpg
    20200803_103655.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 20200803_103724.jpg
    20200803_103724.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200803_103734.jpg
    20200803_103734.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 275
Sponsored Links
Have you tried sliding them both towards the inside , holding them there , then trying to open the window?

As sircerebus666 says, slide both knobs towards the centre of the window, the sash should then tilt in ( its to enable easy cleaning ) , beware , it may not have anything to stop it slamming straight done .. ideally it should have a tilt restrictor arm but some don't.

If how ever it is just the sliding up and down that is the issue , my guess would be that the ' pivot shoe ' that the spiral spring is located in has broken, I've seen it a few times and it can be a right pig to change. If you can get it to tilt inwards , look down each edge and you will see the spring, follow the spring down and you should see the plastic ' pivot shoe ' give it a good inspection and see if any of the retaining lugs for the spring have broken off

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for replies. It does tilt inwards, I did it with a bit more force than I had been. I have wooden shutters and the frame for those doesn't allow it to tilt in so far that I could see inspect the edge fully. It does sound like that is the issue though as there in a problem getting it up and down. Thanks again and will just live with it for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back