UPVC seals/condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house recently with UPVC windows that don't look very new. I've noticed that mould marks are appearing along some of the joins (see photo). I asked someone about it and they said it's just condensation, but if that was the case, why is it appearing only along the joins? It looks to me that the seal along the joins is going. If so, is it possible to repair it? I've seen there is some UPVC filler stuff available.
Thanks

Attachments

• upvc-condensation.jpg
    upvc-condensation.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
It could just be an area that catches running condensation, so goes mouldy over time. I'd start by bleaching it all off, then see what happens.

Good way to remove mould is to apply neat thick bleach to the area and cover with toilet roll which will help hold the bleach onto the affected area. Leave it for 12+ hours, then bin all the bleach-ey paper.

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong, but that looks to me as if it is the joint between the frame and the glazing bead.
The black gunk can be scraped out of the joint, and any surface muck can be cleaned off - No need for bleach, it's unlikely to be ingrained into the plastic.

If there is a build up of moisture here, it may be worth seeing if you can remove the bead and check the drains beneath the sealed unit are clear, so any water passing the window seals will dissipate to the outside, rather than just sitting in the channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back