Black Mould around UPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for advice on how to troubleshoot black mould appearing around UPVC window frame in bedroom. This has appeared over the summer months. Teenager's room so a lot of time spent in there with door/curtains closed.
Leak or condensation issue. Thoughts?
Add a dehumidifier?

Attachments

• Mould 1.jpg
    Mould 1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Mould 2.jpg
    Mould 2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Mould 3.jpg
    Mould 3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 131
  • Mould 4.jpg
    Mould 4.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Mould 5.jpg
    Mould 5.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Mould 6.jpg
    Mould 6.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Mould 7.jpg
    Mould 7.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Mould 8.jpg
    Mould 8.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
Defo, long time spent in room breathing out water vapour(more if he's busy with a girlfriend), no ventilation, curtains drawn trapping air, door closed yep perfect recipe for condensation

Might need to check insulation above the ceiling - that's a lot of mould for a bedroom in summer/autumn. Maybe the walls are getting damp from the outside too?

The fact that most is on the ceiling suggests a cold spot in the insulation could be an issue.

Cillit Bang black mould remover will help get rid of it. Then once gone, do a vinegar soak as the acid helps kill mould spores.

I've insulated my bedrooms fully, but still get some black mould forming around the windows where I could not put insulation on the reveals.

Make sure trickle vents are open all the time, and open the window in the mornings if you can to help it dry out during the day.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

As above - the only thing I would add (and I may be wrong!) is that your window seems to be set quite far forward, close to the external wall.
This could cause cold bridging (it's possibly even installed in front of the cavity/cavity insulation?).

There's nothing much you can physically do to solve that, apart from taking everyones advice above :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back