uPVC windows are going black with mould.....please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a house full of uPVC double glazed windows, but, the plastic is starting to go black with mould.........and I can't seem to shift it.
It is much worse in the bathroom due to the inherent wetness of that room.
Any advice would be really good,

many thanks in advance,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Ventilate ventilate ventilate. Its no secret. Try a weak bleach solution to get rid of the mould.

Thanks fella,
will give it a go, but, methinks the mould has been there for some years!
Is neat bleach too extreme?

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Thanks freddymercurystwin,
I'll try the bleach at the weekend & report back.

Thanks JohnD,
informative link, thanks.
And yes, at this time of year my wife drapes damp clothes on the rads and, because she feels the cold, she tends to close all windows when I'm not looking!
I have a bathroom extractor in the light but the window stays largely closed at this time of year. I'll show her this topic.

Many thanks to both of you,

Slime.

if she insists on causing incurable damp by draping wet washing around the house (she might as well throw buckets of water at the walls) the house will always be wet and no-one can help you.

Start saving up for a tumble-drier (or build a shelter for the washing line).

The bathroom fan needs to be run until the bathroom is dry. This can easily take half an hour. A bathroom extractor works best if the door and window are both shut (this is true).

Start saving up for a tumble-drier (or build a shelter for the washing line)
And if you get a tumble dryer, make sure it is vented outside through the wall.
The condensing types are hopeless.
Worse still, I have seen people using normal ones just venting directly into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back