upvc stable door warped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have had a new stable door fitted however the bottom door is warped and when shut has a gap of appox 7 mm at the bottom. When the bottom door is locked it pulls the door straight. therefore when shut but not locked there is a dad draft.

The company that installed it is saying this is how upvc doors are and I should have researched it before purchase.

i am saying if the door wasnt warped it would not have the gap and therefore less draft.

I appreciate on a stable door the bottom door needs locking for security and possibly a tight seal but surely a warped door is unacceptable

Any thoughts (not on adjustment) on whether I should accept this as the door seals when locked would be welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds more that the frame isn't upright

BUT ( not making excuses as there shouldn't be a 7mm VARIANCE ) , neither UPvc or Composite doors are considered airtight until the locking points are fully engaged , the reason being that if the multipoint lock is not fully engaged you can move both the bottom and the top of the door ( and so can a strong wind ) You should have been advised to pull the handle up and engage the locking points everytime you use the door, in the very least this will help to combat the potential of warping ... but it certainly should elimante drafts ( still not excusing a 7mm variance! )

Thankyou for your reply
The door frame is about 3mm out from top to bottom but if if this was corrected it would make the gap even bigger
The bottom door is definitely the problem ie warped, This I believe has been caused by the 2 panels in the bottom door that are held in situ by rubber seals (like double glazed units) these I think have been installed with the bottom door warped and they are holding it in that position. This can easily be rectified as I have done so myself. and the door now closes without any gaps and as you say when the locks are engaged it shuts tightly on the seal.
My point is .is it acceptable for the supplier and fitters to leave the bottom door warped and the company are now saying thats the nature of upvc doors tough luck
(the fitter did not appear to know what was causing the warping and were initially talking about positioning (bending) the door frame to fit the bottom door.

no its not acceptable in my opinion , and as someone who fits Upvc I would have this remedied

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back