UPVC window cloaking / trim finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I fitted a window at the weekend and have some cloaking to do. I noticed some of the existing cloaking on my other windows had a nice overlapping join. Just wondered how that is achieved and if I need a certain pair of shears or something?

Attachments

• 20210221_190909.jpg
    20210221_190909.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
You need to post a pic that isn't quite as zoomed in so we can see exactly what you mean.

Okay, I'll grab another one tomorrow. In the meantime, the top horizontal piece looks to be a normal flat piece of trim but the vertical piece seems to have a profile on it to slot into the horizontal piece.

Here's another photo. Blimey, the door frame looks grubby close up :eek:

Attachments

• 20210222_082215.jpg
    20210222_082215.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
Wow, I never would have thought somebody would route some cloaking. I do have a router but this seems a little extreme.

Ok , its called a scribe which is a mitre with the guts cut out with preferably a coping saw , i would suggest looking on you-tube its the most elementary of joints to achieve

Thanks Tim, any examples or videos? I'm just surprised that someone would go to the effort to do this, hence the reason for asking if there was a pair of shears I could buy? I've used coping saws on ogee skirting before but can't see how you'd use that for window cloaking?

Maybe I'll just go for the mitre with sealant.

There you go , took about 30 seconds to do . A touch of silicone on the face before offering up the joint and wipe off any excess with a gorilla wipe or pvc solvent cleaner. Any thing else i would be happy to help!

Attachments

• cut mitre.PNG
    cut mitre.PNG
    98.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Cut out.PNG
    Cut out.PNG
    154.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Scribed cloaking.PNG
    Scribed cloaking.PNG
    87.3 KB · Views: 187
That's brilliant, thanks Tim. I don't want to sound dim, but I'm still curious as to how you cut that with a coping saw? Isn't it fairly hard plastic? I can do the mitre no problem. I guess I could use a round file to cut away the material to get the overlap.

The Trims are all cellular and not hard like a pvc frame honestly a coping saw or if your brave a small hand angle grinder or a dremmel die grinder I could record it and try and post it -not sure if the forum will accept movie media ? Could WhatsApp if you or I could securely give contact details ?

Don't worry Tim, you've been more than helpful thanks. I'd assumed the cloaking was hard heavy flat plastic.... I'll be picking some up tomorrow, so I'll have a go. Thanks for your patience :D

Hi Tim,

I did the cloaking on Friday and it worked a treat. Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back