UPVC Window dropped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large UPVC window that opens from the bottom. It is well over 10 years old. Recently the bottom edge of the opening window is catching on the frame when closing. So it appears to have dropped a few mms.

I read elsewhere that I could loosen the 4 screws on each side, move the window up and retighten the screws. However only the top and bottom screw on each side seem to be adjustable (oval hole rather than round) so not sure how to adjust it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Couple of photos attached if this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_184723860[1].jpg
    IMG_20210915_184723860[1].jpg
    299 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210915_184747418[1].jpg
    IMG_20210915_184747418[1].jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
If only the top and bottom holes are slotted, take the two other screws out completely.
Then do the adjustment.
If that works, there may be no screw holes visible (or too offset to use) for the other screws. Drill some small pilot holes and do them up!
Simples! :)
However, if the adjustment isn't enough to stop the catching, you may have to redrill for the whole hinge, or get a new hinge.

Thanks for this. Makes perfect sense. Sounds simple but nervous about the possibility of having to redrill holes for the 2 non adjusting screws. But very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. Makes perfect sense. Sounds simple but nervous about the possibility of having to redrill holes for the 2 non adjusting screws. But very grateful.
There's really nothing to be concerned over. The holes you will need are tiny, driving the screws into the holes will do most of the work.
The problems will come if there isn't enough adjustment on the other screws. But even then it still a DIY job.
If you have any problems let us know!
Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back