UPVC Window fitting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need a bit of advice!

I plan on bricking 2 doors up in my house and fitting windows in their place, both openings are the same size.

Width is 930mm, height will be determined by the window, which if the one I've linked to will be suitable is 1050mm height.

When it comes to height is it best to make the opening 1060 or bigger so its not a squeeze?

The window in the link is 915mm wide, will that be suitable for a 930 opening?

The reason Im looking at this window is because with my staff discount I'll get it for just over £100 a piece. Ive read the manual thats provided on the website and its a little vague I think.

It does mention that I'd need cleats, packers and screws for fixing... From what I can make out cleats and packers look to be kinda the same thing?

Can anyone help with my dilemma? Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tf-upvc-window-clear-915-x-1050mm/51413

Sponsored Links
Hi I need a bit of advice!

I plan on bricking 2 doors up in my house and fitting windows in their place, both openings are the same size.

Width is 930mm, height will be determined by the window, which if the one I've linked to will be suitable is 1050mm height.

When it comes to height is it best to make the opening 1060 or bigger so its not a squeeze?

The window in the link is 915mm wide, will that be suitable for a 930 opening?

The reason Im looking at this window is because with my staff discount I'll get it for just over £100 a piece. Ive read the manual thats provided on the website and its a little vague I think.

It does mention that I'd need cleats, packers and screws for fixing... From what I can make out cleats and packers look to be kinda the same thing?

Can anyone help with my dilemma? Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tf-upvc-window-clear-915-x-1050mm/51413[/QUOTE]

Measure the opening in multiple places in case of variance! Remember to take account of the PVCu sill because that adds to the total height of the window, it's not just the declared window size! The sill can add 30-35mm to the size of the window. Check to find out how much to allow.

Packers are small bits of often wedge shaped plastic to secure the frame in to the opening.

Cleats are fitted to the PVCu frame so that you do not have to drill through the PVCu frame to fix it into the opening.

Extenders are extra bits of plastic screwed into the window frame to make up space when the window opening is larger than the PVCu window. It is better to have the frame made for the opening but could be a little more expensive.

The window opening should be 10mm larger than the window. That size can be made up with packers. Anything more could be a problem and might require extenders.

Bricking up a door and installing a window will have to be put through building control to sign it off. £140ish depending where you live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back