UPVC Window Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but looking for some advice on a recent window installation. In general I am happy with the work but had a query regarding why one window seemed to have additional pvc trim - see pic?

Could anyone give me advice - is this because the frame isn't square, or would it have been for some other reason like the window being too small? I will go back to my fitter on Monday but was looking for some information first so I know what I'm talking about!

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
Do you have the same trim outside as well?

There could be a void behind that trim or it could be a frame extender although I don't know why he would feel the need to cloak it, if it's a gap then yes it would appear the window is short in height, maybe the old window was sat on a thick mortar bed and this came away and wasn't meant to when measuring up, I wouldn't worry a great deal about it so long as he's foamed the void

There can be a whole host of reasons to make a window slightly small. Usually its just so you can get the new window in without having to knock off all the render/plaster or so a window will open past any obsticals.
As Crank says as long as they have filled any voids with foam and you are happy with how it looks then its fine.

Thank you Crank and Gazman.

The trim is on the outside and inside - is it a common thing to need to fit something like this? As long as it would cause no problems I'm not too bothered but am paranoid as to why it was different from the rest of the windows!

Another question I have is regarding the sills. These are all uPVC and do not seem very smooth - they have like ridges on them that you can feel almost what's underneath. Is this normal for plastic sills? I assumed they would be quite rigid but do not appear to be at all.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Ridges running along the length are extrusion marks but these are very faint, sometimes you can feel and see bigger ridges, more like bumps, these are usually the PVC sagging between the chambers, again if not stupidly obvious then nothing to worry about but a picture would help, if you can it to show up?

Here is picture of sill. There seems to be a dip before the bullnose edge and then you can quite clearly see thearks. Not sure if I'm being too fussy?!!!

Attachments

• 20151011_164221.jpg
    20151011_164221.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 159
Ah internal sill, we call them window boards, still hard to see on that picture but in any case its probably a dip in the moulding and if it really bothers you then it can be replaced but will be glued down if its capping your old board, probably an hours work with all the making good afterwards

I really hope the gap is filled behind the trim. Get a thermal imaging camera or IR thermometer (£10 on ebay) and test it when the weather turns cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back