uPVC window letting draft air in and possibly not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two questions, hoping someone can help me out please

I have a uPVC window that is letting draft air in through the sides and at the bottom of the two large openings. The top and the top side of the two openings appear to be nice and close to the frame giving it a good seal. Pictures attached so you can see what the window looks like and a picture of a side showing the gap between the frame and the window with the window shut. I am advised I need to replace the hinges. I cannot physically see any issues with the hinges but I am no expert. Will changing the hinges fix this? I am quoted £190 for the job which seems excessive to replace hinges.

Secondly, and more importantly, the bottom of the window frame has two holes on each side of the large openings. I am guessing these are drainage holes. The holes are clean and clear but when I pour some water into these holes I am not seeing the water escape out of the frame. I cannot see or find any holes on the outside of the frame to allow water to escape. I have also checked on the underside of the frame using a metal coat hanger to see if there are any concealed holes but I was unable to locate any.

I have had the window for 16 years and have never had any issues with the frame filling up with water. I do have a small wet patch on the wall just underneath the side of the window (picture attached).

The questions I have is

1. Where is the water escaping?
2. Where else the drain holes be externally?
3. Would the window be possible culprit for the wet wall patch?
4. Assuming there are no drain holes externally or that they are there but I can’t find them. Where should I drill some holes to let the water escape?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BFAAB547-2E53-4464-9AC5-7ACC67DA9BE9.jpeg
    BFAAB547-2E53-4464-9AC5-7ACC67DA9BE9.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 452A449F-02C9-456C-8822-188B8B0AECEF.jpeg
    452A449F-02C9-456C-8822-188B8B0AECEF.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 148
  • 5200D88C-2715-4E03-952F-A1135A5BF6EB.jpeg
    5200D88C-2715-4E03-952F-A1135A5BF6EB.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 8199AFF6-5FCA-46D5-9B9E-FACF8DBF484F.jpeg
    8199AFF6-5FCA-46D5-9B9E-FACF8DBF484F.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2B9A577B-758D-4792-B5B7-4E8196B65C45.jpeg
    2B9A577B-758D-4792-B5B7-4E8196B65C45.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,
Changing the sealing gaskets is a cheap and simple DIY job that may solve the draft issue without any hinge adjustment.
You could try:
https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/search-result/?search_query=Gasket
They also supply hinges if you do need them. You could get the sample pack to see which gasket fits best (it may not be the same as the original!).
To cause that pattern of water on the wall, the frame would have to be full of water, and you would notice it coming out of the internal drains!

Thanks RandomGrinch,
I am hands-on with simple DIY tasks so will defo look at the link for new gaskets and the hinges. Thanks for that

The frame has never filled up with water and I have never noticed it to be excessively wet to need to drain the water. It’s still mind boggling though that when I do pour half a glass of water I don’t see it escaping anywhere.

I have exactly same window in my kitchen and the drain water has no escape but I also have no wet wall or issues with water ingress.

thanks anyway

If you really felt like it you could drill a couple of holes in the frame. Cover caps are pennies from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JCP-Window-Drainage-Octagonal-Windows/dp/B0933PDZST
But I really don't think this is a problem for you.
Yeah, have a go at the seals and hinges, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that can help if you get stuck.
It will definitely be cheaper than your quote!
Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Gasket alone will not sort that gap out! We do this type of repair regularly, that is a new set of hinges every time, probably 310's ( 12 inch ) by the look of that . Quoted £ 190 ...does seem a little high to me , £100-£120 would be closer to the mark for one set , two would be about £150 , depending on how far the fitter is travelling ( if the guy tou are using is 200 miles away it isn't to bad lol! ).

As goes the drainage , I'm very concerned about the two holes that are set within the frame , house side of those hinges. That is not the usual place to see drain holes , they should be within the very outer ' cell ' of the upvc frame, not set right back there. I can't see any drain holes on the outside of the frame either, normally face drain would be about half way across the sash, on the face.. base drain would indeed be under the frame between the cill and frame, inside the ' ribbing ' of the frame , so that it is invisible. I have a very horrible feeling that the water you have tipped done those two holes at the back , has gone straight into your wall.....

I'm with Ronnie, I think it's been drilled(drained) at the back of the frame not the front hence no water is visible bon exit, think it's draining along the back edge I'd the cill between the cill and frame and running along the end, this could be the reason the wall damp....I say COULD be

As for the gaps, I think a combination of new hinges as well as closing wedges will help pull that gap together, I've noticed the openers are very tall, a gap in the middle down the hinge sides of tall openers is a common fault

Thanks Ronnie, Crank

Why even £150 for a set? They are only around £10ner for a set from Screwfix so material is cheap. In my case the repairer is 2 miles away and I am hoping he has quoted £190 for hinges on all openings. Both my tall windows are letting draft in so to replace two sets at £300 would not be cost effective to replace the window. I will likely have a go at it myself to replace the hinges and the seals.

On the drainage holes, it was also my observation that they are set right back and not in the outer cell of the frame and I do wonder if water is running along the cill and on to the walls. However, as the holes are at the back end of the frame there is not enough water getting to that point. Them windows are mostly always shut except during summer.l and I don’t find/notice any water around the holes .

I guess the option is to seal those holes and drill new holes in the outer cell and a or two hole on the face of the frame (assuming there aren’t any holes on the underside of the frames.)

thanks

£100-£120 a set , £150 for two sets. Why so much, years and years of experience...simple as that! If you want to do it yourself and save the cash thats up to you.

Before drilling any part of the frame make sure you are up.to speed with where and how the drainage channels work on upvc or you could very well make your problem a lot worse by drilling the wrong place or even worse drilling through to many ' cells '

Fair enough Ronnie - Thanks. Will look into it to see if do it myself or just pay those experienced to do it. Much appreciate your time and reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back