uPVC window sills damaged by paint stripper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago, mum had someone repaint the front of the house. The old white paint was flaking away to the red paint underneath. There is damage to the window sills, even though the painter covered them with masking tape. We presume that this was caused by paintstripper, but don't know for sure. Is there any way to make the window sills look good again?

The damaged patches are rough to the touch and are slightly depressed (i.e. they're something missing rather than something added which can be scrubbed off).

Sponsored Links
Its probably worth cutting out the original sill and replacing,
a 5 metre length of sill would cost about £30 depending on type. Silicone and UPVC beading would help to cover up any gaps, look like new again.

Hi. Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me how to begin removing the old sill? Most the information I find, despite searching for uPVC-specific information, covers repair of wooden sills. Is this held in place by screws or mastic or both? Can it be removed without disturbing the window/window frame?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back