UPVC Window to tall enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a second hand UPVC window to replace a rotten timber framed window in the garage.

The width of the new window gives a 5mm clearance either side.

However the height is 70mm to short.

Is it possible to get a length of UPVC box section with the same profile of the window so to enable me to increase the height of the window leaving a suitable gap at top and bottom?

I was thinking i could do this and then cover the gap with a piece of trim held in place with silicone.

im not fussed about losing any thermal properties on the window.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would probably make the gap up with timber and then paint it white or clad it with UPVC as it's just a garage.

Hi
It is possible to attached the upvc profile lengh to the top of the frame, speak to your local windows manufacture to get one.
The previous post suggestion seems to be less work and cost so would be better that way.

the window frame may be giving support to the area/roof above so another vote for timber and plastic cladding
making sure you have enough timber on the wall each end to take the weight off the window

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have attached an image of the existing rotten window. The internal block work has a concrete lintel, but there's no lintel holding the bricks up other than the timber window frame.

If i install the new upvc window, with say a length of 100x50 timber across the top of the frame to make up the gap, is this going to give any support to the bricks above or is this not needed?

You might there's already a gap above the window if you remove that strip of timber nailed to the drip, zooming in tells me there may also be a catnic lintel present already

You might there's already a gap above the window if you remove that strip of timber nailed to the drip, zooming in tells me there may also be a catnic lintel present already

I have had a further look and what you can see in the gap is a layer of what looks like roofing felt.

I cant see any form of lintel on the outer brick work. Having looked at the other UPVC windows on the house im struggling to find any evidence of lintels on the outside wall.

Any advice on how to proceed with the instal appreciated.

You may well be right but i still believe there is a gap above the window behind that strip of timber, it could be this thats acting a bit like a lintel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back