UPVC Window weep holes covered by external insulation contractor....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I had the rear of my house externally insulated in October. Last week I noticed the wall under my back bedroom window felt a bit damp. My window man came to check it out and said that the drainage holes had been covered over by the new uPVC window cills fitting by the insulation company. That meant water could easily get into the wall (i.e. trickling behind the new cill) but it hard to get out other than via the wall.

I'm unsure if anything can be done to correct it - and whether this is bad practice. I want to contact said rendering firm but need to know of it's going to cause long term issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
do you have any pics?

and why/how did insulation company remove the existing pvc cills?, they should be screwed to the actual window frame

See it before Ronnie, lost count how many times, they leave the existing cill in and cloak over it with 9mm foam filled fascia capping board and thus it covers the concealed drainage

Sponsored Links
I honestly don't know, I do know though they aren't window fitters and nor are the contract managers, these cladders don't know and don't care how window drainage works, they've probably never even noticed that gap before, they get paid by the m2 no doubt so they won't stick their hand up and say 'Boss this is wrong - we can't do this as it obstructs the drainage', the boss doesn't want to hear problems or excuses on site, its get in get the job done and move on to the next site

And the annoying part is you can't even convert to face drain because you need to seal up the concealed drainage, I've told may customers you need to get the cladders back as they've royally messed up, see it time and time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back