Are these weep holes? (Pics included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So about two weeks ago, when there was that massive thunderstorm, we had water (a lot of it) dripping into our house from the upper section on the alcove of the interior of this window. Logically, I'm thinking there's a problem with degraded mortar on the exterior wall, which when there's a lot of rain, allows water in. However, a family member said to me that the culprit was probably the holes you can see above the window, which I had assumed were weep vents. These were there when we bought the house a couple of years ago. I assumed they were there for a reason, but this family member said it looks like holes for securing scaffolding, which simply hadn't been filled back in. As you can see, there's also some kind of silicone or some other sealant (the white stuff) in there.

So what do you think? Am I okay to fill these in, or are they actually weep vents? I'm including a picture of above our patio doors at the rear of the house, which don't have the same 'weep vents', which makes me even more suspicious. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7776.jpeg
    IMG_7776.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7777.jpeg
    IMG_7777.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7774.jpeg
    IMG_7774.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
I'm no double glazer although after the last double glazing job I had done I don't think there is any such thing as a double glazing expert. Anyway I digress, again. I do not have any holes in my brickwork above any of my double glazed windows nor my double glazed patio door. I would be inclined to fill them in.

They are weep holes, and should be left.

They will be unrelated to your water penetration.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I'd better leave them then. Any idea why there would be that white gunk in there? Some kind of adhesive for weep vents?

In that case maybe the culprit is the degraded mortar two rows up? Although then again isn't the point of the weep vents to expel any water that gets in that way?

Someone has gone along with a mastic gun and filled some cracks in.

It is likely that the brickwork has dropped when the frame was replaced or after, causing that horizontal crack above. There does not appear to be an external lintel.

Someone has gone along with a mastic gun and filled some cracks in.

It is likely that the brickwork has dropped when the frame was replaced or after, causing that horizontal crack above. There does not appear to be an external lintel.
Thanks. Am I okay to just remove the mastic and repair the mortar, or do I need to worry about the lintel? We’ll probably replace the windows in a couple of years but would rather patch up for now.

If there is no lintel, then the brickwork will be resting on the frame and moving with every window opening and closing, and warming and cooling.

So if a temporary repair, use a clear silicone.

If movement is not likely - eg those soldier bricks bonded to a boot lintel behind, then the cracks can be repointed.

Looking at the rear pic, I can see what were maybe 3 x vent spaces that have been filled?

Looking at the rear pic, I can see what were maybe 3 x vent spaces that have been filled?
I see what you mean. I can only guess though. Maybe the last person who had the house assumed they were just degraded mortar and filled them?

Would I be best off drilling a hole in them?

I’m going to have a go at this job this weekend. Should I remove the sealant and fill in the holes with weep vents?

I’m also going to grind out and fill in the gap in the mortar above.

Okay. So an update on this. (I hope I’m not speaking into the void, hopefully someone with the knowledge can help.)

I’ve managed to clear out the first three ‘weep holes’ after much difficulty and many Stanley blades. Here are the pics. Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like something solid back there (maybe the lintel?), which means that these would not be weep vents? In which case, I should fill them when I do the rest of the repointing?

Attachments

• IMG_8165.jpeg
    IMG_8165.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8159.jpeg
    IMG_8159.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8156.jpeg
    IMG_8156.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back