Window Leak - Weep Holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

In need of some urgent help.

So i noticed that the windowsill under my downstairs hall window was getting water damaged very slowly (The wall next to it was also showing signs of damp patches.)

I mixed up some mortar and re-pointed between the metal under the weep holes (Above the window) and the window trim which i though could be where the water was getting in as the mortar line was poor and it made the situation a whole lot worse!

I woke up the next day and the windowsill has completely blown with water (As its MDF)

I obviously haven't got any mortar in the weep holes they haven't been touched and water shouldn't be getting into the holes into the house as there should be a moisture barrier... any ideas why this could have happened? There was obviously an issue in the first place but how can me re-pointing exacerbate it so much!

Sponsored Links
Weep holes ? The only holes around windows ( I'm assuming it's double glazed ) would be drainage holes (about30-40mm long), which should be at the bottom of the window, or trickle vents, which would be much longer (150-250mm) at the top. I would think a trickle vent could let water in, maybe silicone sealant round it may help.The vent would be in the window unit, the drain in the frame. What is the sill made of outside? Concrete ones can get cracks in which would allow water through.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

In need of some urgent help.

So i noticed that the windowsill under my downstairs hall window was getting water damaged very slowly (The wall next to it was also showing signs of damp patches.)

I mixed up some mortar and re-pointed between the metal under the weep holes (Above the window) and the window trim which i though could be where the water was getting in as the mortar line was poor and it made the situation a whole lot worse!

I woke up the next day and the windowsill has completely blown with water (As its MDF)

I obviously haven't got any mortar in the weep holes they haven't been touched and water shouldn't be getting into the holes into the house as there should be a moisture barrier... any ideas why this could have happened? There was obviously an issue in the first place but how can me re-pointing exacerbate it so much!

are you sure its connected?

it sounds like the weep holes you mean are the weep holes for the lintel which is forming the cavity tray.

if the windowboard is wet at the ends near the plaster reveal it could be water getting in down the sides of the reveal -in which case it could be a fault with the vertical dpc or lack of cavity closer (age of property will determine the arrangement)

if the windowboard is getting wet in the middle, it could be a fault with the window -maybe a blocked weep hole or something

Pic *

Attachments

• 15828125635623881468348645271597.jpg
    15828125635623881468348645271597.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 86
It was getting wet directly under the left vent on the windowsill inside but from underneath

do you mean the water was dripping down from the head of the window onto the cill?

I would start by taking off the external trims, see what the silicon is like and re do it.

if its getting damp from the bottom it would be helpful to know the external cill detail -is it upvc cill or brick / concrete

Drips from underneath

Attachments

• 15828147469162395760378262868085.jpg
    15828147469162395760378262868085.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 84
  • 15828147967055422575324172853823.jpg
    15828147967055422575324172853823.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 83
25 years so no NHBC. No drainage in the actual window but I think the water had blown in from outside maybe? I have used expanding foam in the void and will monitor before fitting another board

25 years so no NHBC. No drainage in the actual window but I think the water had blown in from outside maybe? I have used expanding foam in the void and will monitor before fitting another board
check window drainage holes.

youve got a window that is direct glazed below a fanlight.

the direct glazed part could let in water in high winds which should discharge out through the extermal cill

Update.... after filling the cavity under the frame with foam the water bow only comes in the corner one side. Hopefully you can see the picture but it's on the inside of the brick an inch away from the window frame. Any further thoughts guys?

Attachments

• 20200228_181853.jpg
    20200228_181853.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Back