UPVC Windows - No sealant between frame and brickwork.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after we moved into our house [15 years old] I was cleaning the windows and noticed there was no sealant between the UPVC window frames and the brick work. I spoke to my neighbour and he said he queried the same thing with the workmen when his house was built, they told him they the windows did not need sealant.

A few months ago we were having an extension done and my builder pointed out the same thing to me. I told him what my neighbour had said, but he still thought it to be strange in his experience.

Now that the weather is colder I can sometimes feel a draft near the windows and we do have a lot of condensation on the inside of the glass [not within the glass], as do my neighbours by observation.

Has anyone come across UPVC windows that do not need sealing, and if I seal them now on the outside could it cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
The only time I've come across windows not being sealed on the outside is were the installer just couldn't be bothered .Can't think of any reason why it would cause problems if you did seal them now .If it were me I think I would .

If there is a gap then it should be sealed, inside or out.
I suggest you get some sealant and do it yourslef, it isn't a hard job.
Also if you want my advice, if your property is brick, then use a brown sealant on the outside. It looks neat and it won't go discoloured and dirty like most white does.
Not sure about your condensation issue, but a gap at the side of your windows certainly won't help

Sponsored Links
mac2or3 and hillw thanks for your comments as soon as the weather picks up a bit I'll get it sorted. I like the comment about brown sealant, I was planning to use brown anyway due to the brick shade but the tip about brown sealant not showing dirt as much is a good one.

The condensation is probably not helped by the gap but the recent temperatures have been a factor and correlate, it was -14 outside the night before last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back