upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all about 5 yrs ago we had all new windows and doors fitted we got a bit of condensation on them the company said that was normal, it has gradually got worse so today i decided to try and cure it and heres what i found, when they put the sealed units in they used plastic packers to fine tune the fitting of the units in the frame but they covered the drain holes and when i took the seals out there was loads of water in the frame rebate should they be like this or should i move the packers so the water can drain and let let air in to keep it dry. i cant get the installers back in as they went bust 2 yrs ago :(

Sponsored Links
Yes you can slightly move the packers, not too much though as it could alter the squareness of the seating of the glass.

As long as there is an external cill, you could drill a few extra holes if you'd rather not move the packers.

Move the packers look to see if they are bridge packers black with a channell in the middle if you take the unit out poke some wire in the drain hole sometimes they dont get routed out

i always put the spacers on an average sized window in both corners.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can slightly move the packers, not too much though as it could alter the squareness of the seating of the glass.

As long as there is an external cill, you could drill a few extra holes if you'd rather not move the packers.

i m favour of that idea.you should move the packers.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back